Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: IT Business Solutions
Role: Analyst Programmer
Location: Based in Ashurst's Glasgow office. Travel to other offices could be required under some circumstances.
Reporting to: Software Development Manager
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 5:30, however you may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations or support call resolution.
Department/ Role Overview:
The Ashurst software development team supports the development needs of the global firm, creating and maintaining internal and external facing solutions for its lawyers and its clients.
This is a junior development position within Ashurst's global Software development team and will require the selected applicant to develop and maintain new and existing applications for the Ashurst business. They will provide programming and systems analysis skills to a range of IT projects based around commercial systems, 3rd party products and in-house developed applications.
Operating within an agile scrum team, the candidate will be expected to learn and move flexibly within the development team gaining broad exposure to a variety of systems and technologies; from .Net MVC, SQL Business Intelligence and Azure through to industry leading workflow and content management products such as SharePoint and Sitecore.
A personalised training and development plan will be created to support the selected candidate in addressing any knowledge gaps and gain familiarity with the development tools in use at Ashurst.
- Developing new software applications in partnership with other members of the development team, business analysts and technical architects
- Liaise with business users as required within the role, maintaining a high level of service within all aspects of the individual's work
- Work collaboratively as part of a team or individually to achieve business outcomes, maintaining constructive working relationships with IT peers
- Upgrading existing software as the organisation's needs change
- Testing software to ensure the code is correct, fixing errors where they occur, and rerunning and rechecking the programme until it produces the correct results
- Provide 3rd level support to commercial, in house developed and n-tier applications
Essential skills and experience:
- A tertiary qualification in a software development subject or be able to demonstrate equivalent commercial experience.
- A level of commercial experience, preferably in the following technologies
- C# .Net Core
- Exposure to one or more web development technologies (e.g. MVC)
- Database programming on the SQL Server platform
- First rate communication and customer facing skills
- Effective team-working and interpersonal skills, experience of working alone or in a team, maintaining working relationships with colleagues and clients
- A good eye for detail, ability to work accurately and efficiently even when under pressure
- Tactful and diplomatic when in pressured situations
- Uses initiative - 'can do' approach and an appetite to learn
- Creating and updating technical documentation
Desired skills and experience
- Familiarity with the structure of a modern enterprise development team including using a version control system, agile development practices and working with a formal test and QA team
- Experience of developing and administering workflow products such as SharePoint
- Knowledge of developing websites and applications on the Azure platform