Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
The HR team of nearly 90 people is led by our Chief People Officer, who is based in Sydney. The HR advisory teams are managed regionally across EMEA, US, Asia and Australia. The Centres of Excellence, comprised of Learning and Development, Diversity, Partnership Office and Resourcing, are operated globally. These teams work closely together to provide a global, seamless HR service to the business.
This role supports our Finance, Funds and Regulatory practice in London .
Play a lead role in the development and implementation of commercial HR solutions to support the firm and division strategically and operationally.
Monday to Friday 9.30 --17.30
Areas of focus - Client
- Act as a change manager and project leader, with the gravitas and credibility to influence at a senior level within the organisation. Active participation in management meetings, frequently owning agenda items in the people space through preparing and presenting ideas and concepts as well as providing advice, support and where appropriate, challenge. Developing trusted advisor relationships with key stakeholders is critical as well as the ability to work independently. The post holder in this role should have an awareness of the conflicting priorities of key stakeholders and plan their interactions with them accordingly to build trust and credibility.
- Responsibility for shaping the key strategic people priorities in conjunction with the Practice Head and others. Active management of both immediate resourcing and succession planning requirements in order to identify gaps and develop plans to fulfil both short term and long-term requirements.
- Provide advice and intervention to the business on complex employee relations issues such as disciplinary, grievances etc. Ensure knowledge is fully up to date with all developments in terms of employee legislation and employee relations issues. Acting as a mentor and guide to the wider Business Partner team in EMEA.
- Provide leadership and guidance relating to the talent management process to ensure timely launch of programmes and engagement from all stakeholders. Advise and coach on performance management and the related issues and challenges. Manage moderation meetings to calibrate performance. Advise and coach leaders on content and structure of messages to be delivered in performance meetings.
- Provide leadership and guidance to ensure the annual remuneration process is delivered effectively and on time. In particular, facilitate relevant remuneration and bonus discussions, maintaining objectivity and fairness; linking compensation decisions to performance; and, ensuring relevant market information is taken into account.
- Support the assessment and collation of training and development requirements and work with the L&D team to design and deliver specific relevant development initiatives.
- Champion diversity and inclusion in line with firm objectives, ensuring those commitments are brought to life in every people process and procedure.
- Support and guide leaders to co-ordinate and manage internal communication initiatives and processes to improve employee engagement.
- Analyse and present relevant HR data to provide information around latest thinking in the profession / HR Strategy and market intelligence using regular HR reports.
- Assist in the design, co-ordination and facilitation of off-sites and team development programmes.
- Responsibility for HR management of a continental European office, supported by colleagues on the ground.
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Areas of focus - Team
- Work in close partnership with the HRIS team and other specialist areas of Remuneration and Benefits, L&D, Diversity and Graduate Development to co-ordinate the utilisation of appropriate skills, knowledge and strategies.
- Work alongside other HR Business Managers to ensure consistency, sharing of ideas and best practice.
- Build relationships across the wider business including support functions and secretarial population.
- Lead on, or contribute to, projects to develop HR practices and processes.
- Support the development of junior members of the HR team by providing timely feedback and mentoring as appropriate.
- Support the Head of HRBP with ad hoc projects to deliver the global elite strategy.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Extensive experience in delivering high quality strategic HR support to a sophisticated client base, with demonstrable evidence of building trusted advisor relationships with senior stakeholders.
- "Can do" ethos.
- Confident and resilient, able to work independently and provide best practice credible advice both to the business and guide fellow team members as appropriate.
- Able to move from strategic reviews to hands on operational matters while retaining a high level of personal effectiveness and organisation.
- Able to demonstrate depth of commercial understanding of the business.
- Good level of knowledge of UK and European employment legislation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to draft and review formal correspondence.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence and persuade.
- Strong ability to build and maintain working relationships across all areas of the business .