Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visithere.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Our globally integrated practice applies our in-depth expertise across the spectrum of participants in the oil and gas industry. We routinely advise IOCs, NOCs, regional oil companies and funders (debt and equity) on high-profile projects and transactions defining the market. Providing strategic advice to all of these industry players allows us to understand the commercial and legal issues from a number of different perspectives.
We are looking for a mid-level Associate with experience in M&A; specifically within the oil and gas and broader energy sector. Typical responsibilities will include:
- drafting and negotiating sale and purchase agreements (asset and share) and ancillary transaction documentation;
- assisting on and supervising due diligence exercises; and
- playing a leading role in transaction management.
Working with highly-motivated partners, you will be responsible for developing the firm's existing and new client relationships in an area that is a strategic focus for the firm. You will also assist in developing our highly-skilled junior associates and trainees.
Essential skills and experience:
- A mid-level qualified lawyer with post qualification corporate and oil and gas experience with a leading international law firm.
- A track record in asset and share M&A transactions, including oil and gas transactions in the North Sea and internationally, and broader oil and gas and energy sector.
- Good organisational skills and experience in transaction management.
- Enthusiasm for intellectually challenging work.
- Excellent client relationship skills and experience of business development.
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs with a determination to provide innovative solutions wherever appropriate.
- A commercial approach and an ability to advise and negotiate in a considered and confident manner across a wide variety of contractual arrangements.
- An enthusiastic team-player who can work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels.
- Willingness to learn new skills and expand technical knowledge beyond core transactional skills.
- Excellence in attention to detail, identifying inconsistencies that indicate problems with quality of work or misunderstanding of client's needs.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.