Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic Compliance team, which supports our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,300 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. In light of the continuing coronavirus pandemic, the firm has evolveda new hybrid approach to working, which sees our people working between their respective remote environments and our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join us as Compliance Services Assistant, in our leading London-based Compliance Department.
The Compliance Department is headed by the firm’s General Counsel. It is a team of 20 and includes Compliance Lawyers and the Compliance Services team, within which this role sits. The Compliance Services Assistant will report directly to the Compliance Services Manager and provides support to the Compliance Services team and all users across the firm with our business acceptance procedures, particularly in relation to opening and maintaining client and matter records and dealing with enquiries in relation to them.
This role offers an opportunity for someone looking to enter the Legal Compliance field and, along with the continuing development of our Intapp client and matter workflow, is an exciting opportunity to learn and contribute as the firm develops its client and matter inception processes and procedures.
Training and development opportunities are provided to support the Compliance Services Assistant in providing an excellent, professional and expert service to the firm.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed.
- Review and validate new business intake forms submitted by users, ensuring that the information provided for the client and matter records is of an excellent quality for searching and reporting purposes.
- Assist with monitoring and ensuring conflict checks have been run for new matters.
- Assist with new client onboarding by conducting a preliminary review of client details, preparing follow up logs and compiling any client information submitted by users into a “new client pack”.
- Respond to queries from across the firm about opening, updating, maintaining and closing client and matter records.
- Ensure that new matter anti-money laundering declarations are completed, escalating when necessary.
- Monitor any technical issues with the business intake requests and escalate them to Technology.
- Assist and support all members of the Compliance Services team as required.
- Compile statistics and assist with compliance monitoring reviews or other projects as required by the Head of Business Acceptance or Compliance Services Manager.
- Act as an ambassador for Compliance, and the services it provides, internally and build relationships across the firm.
- Assist with maintaining the firm’s Engagement Letter Register.
- Assist with all client mailshots of the firm’s Terms and Conditions of Business.
Candidates for this position should have:
- Confident and articulate communication skills, dealing effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to explain procedures and answer enquiries clearly and concisely, both in writing and over the phone.
- Excellent attention to detail in own and others’ work.
- Online research skills.
- Proven experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Good team player experience, contributing to the team, offering support to colleagues and sharing, information and best practice.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes in procedures.
- Ability to work reliably with minimum supervision, managing own time to meet deadlines and responding quickly and flexibly to changing priorities.
- Experience using Intapp Open would be beneficial.
- Active interest in compliance and current affairs.
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standard of professional ethics.
You will also be expected to display the attributes set out under the firm’s Key Behaviours for Business Services staff for this level of role. Below are the most relevant for this role:
- Technical & professional expertise
- Service excellence
- Drive to deliver
- Analysis & judgement
- Communication & influence
- Working with others
- Leading & managing people