Senior Associate, Global Loans (Leveraged finance)
Ashurst's Global Loans team
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's Global loans / banking practice is recognised by its clients to be one of the most innovative and solution orientated legal practices in the City today.
As the challenges to our clients have increased over the last few years we have stayed true to our core offering of legal technical excellence wrapped in commercial awareness. This has enabled Ashurst to continue to fulfil the role of being a Trusted Advisor to our clients and strengthened our close relationships. The practice continues to go from strength to strength and currently has 17 partners and circa 50 other fee earners
We are currently looking for a mid-senior level lawyer with proven post qualification experience in leveraged acquisition finance to join our team in the London office.
Ashurst's Banking practice offers specialist advice on:
- buy-outs and other acquisition finance transactions;
- real estate finance;
- infrastructure financings;
- investment fund and warehousing financings;
- restructuring and refinancings;
- asset backed lending;
- strategic and impaired value debt purchases, including loan portfolio sales;
- secured and unsecured lending transactions; and
- treasury products generally.
You can expect to have exposure to a wide range of high quality transactions.
Main tasks and qualities
You would typically act on all elements of a financing from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will be to draft and negotiate term sheets, security documents, intercreditor agreements and facilities agreements, ensuring a smooth process to transaction close
You will be expected to have client relationships and a desire to build on these and develop your own client network with support and guidance from the partners and wider team.
You would also be expected to manage projects that have been assigned to you, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers. You would be working as part of a committed and inspired friendly team that enjoys its work and considers itself a leader in its field of practice. All members of the team have frequent client contact and must be willing to travel.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Drafting of legal documents and agreements;
- Contributing to department know-how and developing precedent documents;
- Advising clients;
- Negotiating with counterparts and leading calls; and
In addition to strong technical skills, you should be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills as there will be significant client contact, in both the work and business development context
Essential skills and experience:
Mid-senior level lawyer with Banking experience ;
- Strong general banking experience including leveraged acquisition finance
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment
- An adaptable person who is a fast learner, with experience practising in multiple jurisdictions.
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counterparts.
- A commercial approach
- PRET A MANGER - acting for a syndicate of senior lenders, including Rabobank, Goldman PIA, Bank of Ireland, BNP Paribas, HSBC, ING, RBS and Societe Generale, on the increase of senior debt facilities made available to the Pret a Manger group to circa £570 million
- FORMULA ONE - acting for Bank of America Merrill Lynch as sole arranger and coordinator of the $4bn recapitalisation of Formula One
- HRA PHARMA - acting for Astorg Partners and Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division on the financing of the €440m acquisition of the HRA Pharma group, a pharmaceutical group founded in 1996, specialises in women's health and endocrinology.
- THE FOUNDRY - acted for Crescent Capital as exclusive lender of subordinated debt facilities supporting the acquisition by HgCapital of The Foundry, an Oscar-winning provider of creative software for the visual special effects industry.
- FINANCIERE CEP GROUP - acting for J.P. Morgan Securities PLC and Nomura Bank International PLC on the €750m first lien and second lien financing of Financière CEP group.
- 21ST CENTURY FOX - acting for Deutsche Bank, as financial advisor to 21st Century Fox, in connection with their £11.7bn offer for Sky plc
- RPC GROUP - acted for RPC Group plc in connection with its £770m revolving credit facility which was used to part-finance the consideration for the UK public takeover of British Polythene Industries plc
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.