Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that not only solve our clients’ challenges but exceed their expectations. By embracing new ways of thinking, integrating technology into our everyday work and putting our people first, we’ve become known for leading by example.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. Our culture enables people to define their own career path based on their strengths, while our ambitious outlook ensures we continue to provide each person with opportunities to thrive. We’re also committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. If you’re ready to play your part in defining the future of law: It’s Time.
A&O Global eDiscovery are uniquely positioned within the firm to offer data services externally to our clients and internally to transactional teams, while offering our core services to the Global Litigation department. The ability to provide professional and innovative eDiscovery and litigation support services is a key part of the A&O’s Litigation strategy going forward. The ability to combine our legal expertise with data-driven solutions for our clients is a compelling story to tell.
Role context and purpose
- The Trial Technology Consultant is responsible for defining and providing excellent client service and technical support for in-person, virtual and hybrid trials and arbitration hearings.
- This is a global position designed to support our lawyers and in-house advocates in preparing and presenting our clients’ cases in the best possible light at arbitration hearings and court trials, whether in national or international courts, before arbitration tribunals or in other fora.
- This single point of contact will provide the firm with trial technology and presentation consulting services, and will be tasked with designing, building and managing the best practices associated with running a smooth and seamless hearing.
- The role is based in London and will report to the Global eDiscovery Consulting Lead (also based in London).
- Senior stakeholders within A&O Global Litigation Team
- A&O eDiscovery consultancy team
- A&O Creative Services team
- A&O AV team
- External suppliers and service providers
Role and responsibilities
- Set up, test and support equipment and trial presentation software at in-person, virtual and hybrid trials and arbitration hearings including presentation of graphics and electronic display of evidence
- Advise and/or lead internal and external teams involved in the preparation and delivery of all aspects of hearings, including, where necessary, the procurement and on-site logistical coordination of hearing locations and required external service providers
- Work with legal team and creative services design specialists to prepare and produce bespoke, persuasive graphics and other demonstratives for use at hearings
- Work with eDiscovery team to maintain evidence tracking across all litigation applications
- Act as consultant internally on hearings, where (s)he not personally involved, sharing know-how with the hearing team
- Define best practices to drive efficiencies and enable the delivery of seamless hearings, ensuring the best results for our clients, as well as cost-savings
- Develop ways of working with eDiscovery and legal teams with focus on efficiency, consistency and data security
- Establish relationships with key third-party service providers
- Maintain body of knowledge and resources for the organisation and delivery of hearings in international arbitration and courts in key jurisdictions to facilitate best practice within the Global Litigation team
- Draft and deliver educational elements such as online training sessions to share and develop best practice within the Global Litigation team
- Draft client-facing marketing materials
- Define and maintain commercials for hourly and data-based services
- Keep abreast of new developments in litigation and AV software for the hosting and facilitation of hearings, including through internal network building
- Solicit and institute feedback and means of improvement from users of hearing support services including liaising with key stakeholders within Allen & Overy’s Global Litigation team to understand requirements and address challenges
- Ensure and manage sufficient team growth for efficient delivery of services
- Excellent, customer-oriented service ethos
- Detailed understanding of trial and arbitration hearing processes
- Experience facilitating the delivery of trials and/or arbitration hearings
- Robust experience with relevant tools such as Trial Director, TrialMax, Sanction and Opus 2
- Extensive familiarity with document review tools such as Relativity
- Established relationships with relevant third-party suppliers, including venue hire, transcription and AV service providers
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal)
- Process-driven mind-set with excellent attention to detail
- Experience working with large, multi-jurisdictional teams and managing large projects
Who we are looking for
- 5+ years’ experience of supporting in-person and virtual hearings, trials and other legal presentations
- Possesses understanding and knowledge of available technological solutions to ensure hearings and presentations are executed seamlessly
- Proven ability to deliver a comprehensive trial and hearing support service
- Flexible with respect to assigned tasks and engagements due to changing deadlines, deliverables, and task priorities
- Ability to work at pace and under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work beyond office hours on occasion, including away from the home office for extended periods of time
- Strong organisational skills, with ability to prioritise and multi-task
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally when required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Law or other relevant discipline advantageous