Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
People are our biggest asset. It's their talent, expertise and personality that makes the firm what it is. In the recruitment team it is our mission to attract and hire the best, at all levels and in all locations.
We work as part of a 28 strong Human Resources department and work closely with our colleagues and the firm's leadership to help achieve strategic goals.
Due to a strategic focus on talent and resourcing, we are now seeking a new recruitment manager to be based in our Exeter office. The new recruit will work alongside the head of lateral recruitment, 2 recruitment managers, a recruitment officer, 2 recruitment assistants and a recruitment administrator.
We do not, and never will, value quantity over quality, but this will be a busy role with the key objective being to ensure we find the best talent for the firm in a timely and cost-effective way.
What you'll be doing
- As an existing recruitment professional you will already appreciate what is involved in running a busy recruitment function day-to-day. In particular for this role you will:
- Conduct, from sign-off to induction, all experienced/qualified fee-earner recruitment in the Exeter office, contributing on senior business support, partner hires and wider regional and international recruitment where required
- Playing a pro-active role in the selection process through participation in interviews and the use of online and hard-copy selection tools
- Manage advertising and attraction for each role
- Manage the on-boarding and induction of all new joiners so as to ensure the best possible experience and retention
- Work to raise the firm's profile and use social media platforms to reinforce our position as an employer of choice
- Act as an ambassador and advocate, and represent the firm, and the team, in best possible way
- Ensure that the principles of diversity and inclusion are embedded in all activities
- Provide monthly and weekly reports for the Board and its executive committee, and for the Director of HR
- Develop relationships with a PSL of agents and contacts. Agreeing standard terms & conditions with them
- Develop and promote the staff introduction bonus scheme
- Work with our Alumni group to promote our recruitment and develop wider HR knowledge to aid our recruitment activities
- Assist with managing and controlling budgets
- Ensure the effective use of the ATS and create talent pools, maximising its functionality
- Ensure the recruitment website is effective and up to date and manage other jobs boards
- Collaborate with HR colleagues in L&D, Reward, Graduate Recruitment and Operations to ensure a seamless service and track the success of hires
- Drive direct sourcing and devise innovative ways to attract talent
- Ensure that all existing recruitment protocols and policies are followed and contribute to their regular review and improvement
- Strive constantly to improve the time to hire and the interview to offer ratio on all hires
- Lead and deliver on appropriate recruitment projects and team and stakeholder training
- Represent the firm at appropriate external forums and networking groups
- Ensure that all legal requirements are complied with
What you'll need
- Quality-driven with keen attention to detail and commitment to service. The recruitment team has built a strong reputation through quality of delivery and hard work. The new manager will share these values and bring rigour and determination in equal measure
- A strong, successful track record in South West fee earner legal recruitment.
- An established reputation in the legal recruitment market
- Flexibility and can-do approach. We all adapt to suit the needs of the business and the recruitment manager will be expected to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in. They will also be capable of adapting to different styles of working, local variations and shifting priorities
- Excellent communicator. The need for effective and regular communication in this role cannot be over-stated. Building relationships quickly and positively, and exhibiting professionalism and attention to detail in all dealings is essential
- Leadership. It is critical to the success of the role that the new manager inspires the team and can work in close collaboration with the regional recruitment manager and the wider HR department
- Tenacity. The highs and lows of recruitment require a robust and tenacious character. The ability to remain focussed, cheerful and committed is a must
- The ability to have fun. It's a serious business, but we are a down to earth bunch and like to have fun and enjoy each other's company
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.