We are currently recruiting for a Head of Environmental Sustainability to join our Business Services department on a permanent basis.
Our Business Services team deliver a wide range of services, including:
- Resilience (global security, health & safety, business continuity and environmental management)
- Document Services (printing, copying, scanning, producing documents, proof-reading, presentations, design, internal deliveries and translation, mail and couriers, business cards, and stationery)
- Hospitality Services (front of house, catering, housekeeping and AV)
- Corporate Real Estate
Our Business Services teams have a direct link with all areas of the business and are always working to be the best that they can be. When we recruit, we always seek the highest quality individuals who want to operate at the top of their game.
The Head of Environmental Sustainability will be responsible for the Firm’s strategic response to climate change and reducing our carbon footprint. This will involve determining the strategy and associated plan and owning the responsibility for successful implementation of the plan.
The role has management responsibility for the Firm’s Health and Safety, Physical Security and Business Continuity policy frameworks though the role does not need specialist expertise in these areas.
The role has a small team of senior managers to assist in the day-to-day delivery of these specific areas of risk management. In addition, the role will need to work with senior stakeholders in the Firm to determine the Firm’s approach to sustainability in its widest context. The post holder will engage regularly with co-heads of Pro Bono and Community Investment (PBCI), Diversity and Procurement to help develop a sustainability strategy. It will involve engagement with the Global Head of Risk, the Heads of the Business Protection Unit and must be a trusted advisor and carry credibility with senior Partners. The post holder must consider the impact of relevant legislation upon the Firm’s environmental plan ensuring compliance by devising and implementing appropriate procedure, policy and practice.
- Associate Director of Business Services
- Global Managing Partner
- Finance and Operations Director
- Environment Manager (and any direct reports)
- Corporate Real Estate Senior Manager
- Global Security Senior Manager (and any direct reports)
- Business Continuity Senior Manager (and any direct reports)
- Heads of PBCI, Diversity and Procurement
- General Counsel and Head of Risk
- Risk Partners
- CISO and Information Security Manager
Role and responsibilities
People and team management
- The Head of Environmental Sustainability will have direct line management responsibility for the Senior Managers of Global Security, Business Continuity and Environment, taking overall responsibility for all related policies, processes and issues. The role requires a solid understanding of the Firm’s culture and working practices, a mature and collaborative approach to interdepartmental working and well-developed leadership skills. In addition, the post holder will need to be comfortable with innovation and be proactive in the identification of opportunities to improve the support Business Services provides to the wider firm.
Environment/Health & Safety
- Directly manage and supervise the Environment Sustainability Manager to deliver (where appropriate) the integration of Environmental and Health & Safety best practice with the drive for continuous improvement of standards across the global network in a manner consistent with ISO 14001. Identify and exploit opportunities, whilst remaining sensitive to local appetite, to deliver truly global Environment and H&S standards for all A&O staff, ensuring that the benefits of such an approach are fully understood by the Partner community and that A&O’s sector leading approach is reflected in our global branding.
Physical and Personnel Security and Business Continuity Management
- Oversee the deliverables of the Global Security Senior Manager to ensure a consistent standard for physical and personnel security across the global network and supervise any responses to security events, incidents or crises, which require leadership and contingency planning.
- Oversee the Business Continuity Senior Manager in delivering the on-going provision of BCM best practice across the global network. To support the BCM Senior Management in the event of crisis management if required and to be a source of escalation for risk management if required.
- Significant people management experience
- Knowledge of greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction methodology and experience in the delivery of GHG reduction projects, particularly the Science Based Targets initiative
- Ability to work outside area of expertise to manage the development of Security and Business Continuity strategy and policy
- Excellent commercial awareness and leadership skills and able to influence, inspire confidence and build consensus at all levels
Who we are looking for
- Excellent written and analytical skills, and able to prepare punchy to the point e-mails and high impact business plans/presentations
- Comfortable with the oversight of data collection and exploitation to support GHG reduction targets
- Able to resolve complex problems, taking a proactive approach to analysing the issues and generating solutions;
- Decisive and mature in judgement
- Track record of implementing change
- Demonstrate strategic vision and understanding of how best to implement strategy
- Thrive in a high-pressure environment and have a flexible approach to work and be able to cope with ambiguity;
- High level planning and strong project management skills
- Highly responsive, organised and detail oriented, a team player, able to multi-task and prioritise tasks and deadlines and perform duties with high levels of confidentiality and integrity
- Strong influencing skills and intellectual curiosity
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.