The Identity and Access Management (IAM) Security Infrastructure Architect is a new manager level role within the Architecture function with responsibility for the definition, product selection, design, development and planning of all aspects of the IAM and related Security capabilities within A&O. They play a key role in working with internal stakeholders and external suppliers to influence and define the strategic direction and approach for all aspects of these capabilities. They will work with multiple initiatives and projects at a time having responsibility for taking functional requirements and translating these in to re-usable architecture and design artefacts. Post design they assume an assurance\advisory role within the governance of projects and programme delivery. Allen & Overy are currently in the process of reviewing and modernising the Infrastructure platform to reflect the need for a more agile service that supports greater use of public and private cloud services. This role will be integral to the delivery of this process.
Members of the Architecture function are expected to be consultative in areas within their own competencies and exhibit an understanding of how their domain technologies fit within, influence and help deliver the wider IT service. This role holder will maintain their existing knowledge as well as keep up to date with new technologies and working practices with a view on their relevance to A&O and how these may be leveraged to benefit the organisation.
Role and responsibilities
- Working with the relevant stakeholders, define the multi-year IAM strategy as input to the project portfolio. Providing business case information such as justification, benefits, resourcing and budgetary profiles.
- Provides technical thought leadership to ensure we develop and procure the right technologies and services through proactively developing the IAM and Security technology roadmaps.
- Working closely with InfoSec provides security assurance to the wider architect community.
- Manage and maintain a proactive backlog of work, regulating change for the IAM and Security capabilities.
- Defines Architectural standards and ensures alignment through the design review process.
- Works with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed in alignment with Architectural standards and principles and are implemented to design specifications.
- Working with relevant stakeholders and engineering teams, develop and maintain re-usable solution building blocks and patterns.
- Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring all strategy, architecture, standards, patterns, principles and roadmap outputs are published. Quickly resolving any technical design issues that may arise in relation to these.
- Act, where necessary, as the Technical Lead role on IT projects. This will include:
- Willingness to get into the detail of projects and lead direction around technology and products.
- Creation of high-level solution designs that address the needs of key stakeholders from the business, solution delivery and operational areas.
- Provide analysis for technical alternatives, and risk analysis for proposed systems.
- When on boarding new technology, ensuring the relevant teams are aware and understand the implications and impact to current standards and working practices.
- Assist in the transition of products and services into operational use.
- Provide technical expertise and support for service management in the resolution of complex incidents and problems.
- Challenges the status quo, identifies opportunities in existing and emerging technologies and takes ownership to improve the IT service.
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- Adept at building business cases and selling these to senior stakeholders.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology. The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Develops excellent working relationships across the breadth of the IT function and effectively shares knowledge between individuals and teams to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to present at a level suitable to the audience.
- Experience of working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of the difficulties this may bring.
- Extensive knowledge of IAM and security capabilities.
- Design level knowledge of defining and deploying IAM and security solutions for on premise, private, public and hybrid cloud and knowing when to leverage each.
- A solid understanding and active working experience of IAM and Security technologies utilised in a hybrid datacentre, SaaS and public cloud (Azure) models.
- Strong working knowledge of current security standards and protocols.
- Understand modern security requirements and the need to provide protection at the infrastructure layer for applications and data.
- Knowledge of differing authentication and authorisation flows based on the type of application.
- Knowledge of cloud computing architecture, technical design and implementations, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) delivery models.
- Knowledge and experience of working in continuous delivery environments and an understanding of the tool stack that supports this operating model.
- Knowledge of deploying solutions via Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Understanding of current IT market and trends, their maturity level and how they benefit the organisation.
- A history of working within medium to large globally diverse organisations that reflects the seniority of this role.
- Extensive experience of Security Architectures for Identity.
- Previously designed a holistic Identity based Security boundary solution covering a hybrid cloud hosting approach.
- Proven experience of
- selecting, designing and delivering IAM and Security solutions within a global Enterprise.
- working with Infrastructure as Code and continuous delivery technologies and processes.
- developing comprehensive technical documentation, including Technical Design documents, Infrastructure diagrams, support transition guides and other project specific documentation.
- using cloud-based identity models in B2B & B2C.
- Experience of
- creating and delivering strategies and technology roadmaps.
- technically leading large projects as part of a team with the confidence and knowledge to influence technical direction.
- communicating to senior stakeholders and interpreting complex technical solutions through the use of simple language.
- working within a regulated industry and an understanding of the compliance and security challenges.
- working with solutions in these areas would be beneficial - PAM, PIM, DLP, CASB, SASE, PKI, Biometrics, SAML, OAuth, SSO/MFA, OpenID, LDAP.
- working with these technologies would be beneficial - ADDS, AAD, RSA, Microsoft Authenticator, ZScaler, AD DNS, Azure DNS, Microsoft Certificate services, Thales HSM.
- working within an agile delivery methodology would be beneficial.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.