Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The banking and finance practice is based across our London and Manchester offices and comprises 11 Partners and 20 other fee-earners. Our expertise spans both the public and private sectors with particular expertise in real estate finance, housing finance and Islamic finance. We act for Middle Eastern and Asian investors, housing associations, local authorities, government bodies and developers.
Our lawyers have a thorough understanding of the sectors in which we specialise. This comes from many years of experience and from working closely with clients and colleagues from different legal disciplines. We do not just work in a banking and finance "box" but take a broader view of a client's business and objectives. Whether acting for borrowers or funders, we aim to play our part in placing the customer's financing on a firm footing and provide the foundations for future success and a strong working relationship between borrower and funders.
What really sets this opportunity apart is the truly varied blend of quality work on offer in the department, all within a friendly and supportive environment. We aim to achieve creative, practical financing solutions and to get the deal done.
What you'll be doing
- Undertaking a mix of work, including advising on loan agreements and security documentation in relation to a range of banking and capital markets transactions (including housing finance, Islamic finance, and real estate finance).
- Initiating, building and maintaining effective client relationship;
- Pro-active involvement in marketing initiatives;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Training and development of junior legal staff, PA and team assistant
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of colleagues at every level. In particular for this role we require:
- Qualified solicitor (up to 2 PQE) with proven post-qualification expertise in a range of banking and finance transactions;
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Commercial awareness and credibility;
- Client relationship management experience;
- Flexibility, positivity and collegiality;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Flair for / proven involvement in business development;
- Demonstrable interest in banking & finance and the sectors in which we operate.
- Strong client focus
- Good team player.
- Excellent academic record;
- Ability to manage files independently.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.