WHO WE ARE
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally, providing clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity for a 0 to 4 PQE solicitor to become part of our dynamic Financing group, which provides first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,300 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart if the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, technically strong and engaging individual to join us as an Associate, in our London-based Financing group.
In addition to its highly regarded Financing practice, the firm has extensive Corporate, Financial Institutions, Commercial and IP/IT practices. It also has strong practices in Financial Regulation, Tax, Competition, Real Estate, Dispute Resolution and Pensions and Employment.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of matters. Much of the work spans the globe, with transactions involving our overseas offices as well as leading independent law firms in many other jurisdictions.
Associates tend to work for partners in their own group, but you may also work for partners in other groups to provide a breadth of experience not only in types of work, but also in the different working practices and approach of different partners.
The matters we work on are generally challenging and sophisticated. We do, however, aim to give associates as much responsibility and client contact as they are ready for.
Group structure of our Financing practice
Our Financing practice, which comprises 17 partners and around 65 associates, is split into two groups. As an associate with us, you will potentially work with any of the partners in your group and also those from elsewhere, giving you the opportunity to see a wide range of working styles and strategic approaches.
Both the groups act for a broad range of clients and handle a variety of types of work rather than specialising in one small area. However, each of the two groups does have a slightly different client base and focus: one handles most of the Debt Capital Markets, Securitisation, Restructuring and Insolvency and Derivatives work, whilst the other handles most of the Project Finance and Infrastructure, Energy and Natural Resources work, with general Bank Lending and Leveraged Lending work more evenly split between the two. The general approach is that the finance partner (or finance partners) and the associates who act for a given client will handle all of that client’s financing work. This structure leads to more regular client contact and greater involvement in clients’ broader business interests. You will therefore be in a position to build very strong client relationships from a very early stage of your career and to be involved in both the legal and commercial decision-making at some of the largest commercial organisations in the world.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending the legal and commercial aspects of documentation
- Advising on the financing elements of a range of corporate and commercial issues
- Advising on acquisition and leveraged finance, asset finance, project finance and structured finance
- Advising on debt capital market transactions, corporate recovery and insolvency and securitisations
- Advising on bank lending of all kinds, including corporate and sovereign
- Providing efficient professional support for partners
- Developing professional relationships with clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including trainees.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Appropriate level of post-qualification experience (we anticipate between 0-4 PQE in a City, major regional or leading international firm)
- Broad exposure across a range of high value transactions
- Previous experience of working on similar scale deals and with a significant level of responsibility is essential
- Ability to draft, advise and negotiate in relation to complex transactions
- Demonstrable first rate legal/commercial knowledge
- Strong academic background (the equivalent of high 2.1 degree and AAB at A-level) and a demonstrable high level of intellectual analysis
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and transaction management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations/meetings under minimal supervision
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.