Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries all over the world. We’re built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We’re thoughtful and inventive, and we’ve developed a culture of in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We’re one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
A&O has one of the leading fintech teams in the industry and our tier 1 practice (in both Chambers & Legal 500) brings in work from high profile clients in a range of industries across the globe. The Financial Services Regulatory team’s fintech/payments work is largely advisory and standalone, but we also support the firm's wider fintech offering. We have a substantial client base, and are committed to continuing to grow it for the future, whether through assisting our current clients with their digitalisation journeys or actively pursuing new relationships to further grow our practice. A&O continues to invest heavily in our offering in this space and are looking for driven, proactive and enthusiastic lawyers who share our vision and ambition to become the best in the field.
Our FS Regulatory practice has a particular focus on payments, fintech, crypto-DLT, retail banking and consumer finance. We are active players in the digital ecosystem, working with established financial services players to emerging fintechs. We have established an expert multi-disciplinary payment services working group, which spans regulatory, Fintech, IP and data protection amongst others and advises numerous payment institutions, e-money firms and similar financial services platforms across the payments market.
Our FS Regulatory group is very experienced in providing international comparative advice on regulatory matters that helps our clients decide where best to conduct their business and gives them a competitive advantage. The team is comprised of lawyers across our network, covering all of the world's principal financial markets. We are able to offer our clients expertise in key regions, from a full-service coverage of London and a variety of other key European jurisdictions,to the US (including the recent hire of a leading fintech team), APAC and EMEA.
Due to A&O’s growing success within the fintech sector, we are looking to recruit further bright and ambitious associates to join our market leading team. An excellent academic and work record is essential. Non-English-qualified candidates will also be considered, although experience of the English regulatory regime is essential. In return we will offer exposure to a broad mix of clients, cutting edge and transformational work in the fintech space, alongside first-rate training and development in a dynamic and supportive environment.
Role and responsibilities
- Providing strategic advice and building client relationships
- Legal research
- Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
- Cross selling our fintech offering
- Attending client meetings, taking instructions and otherwise liaising with clients
- Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Business development – development of personal plan and assistance with and implementation of business development campaigns
- Knowhow and thought leadership support
- Qualified lawyer 1.5 – 5 years of post-qualified experience
- A hunger to build personal profile, and help add to the firm’s profile, in payments and fintech
- Strong technical knowledge with regards to the UK and European financial services regulatory framework, with
- particular emphasis on payments, e-money, financial crime, cryptoassets, consumer finance, securities trading
- platforms and e-commerce regulation
- Experience of providing legal and structuring advice across retail financial services law/regulation related to
- those areas
- Experience of crypto issuance work would also be beneficial
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win
- the respect of the partner and fee-earner community, building strong relationships with both internal and external
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- A person of sound judgment who is able to establish a high level of credibility
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that not only solve our clients’ challenges but exceed their expectations. By embracing new ways of thinking, integrating technology into our everyday work and putting our people first, we’ve become known for leading by example.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. Our culture enables people to define their own career path based on their strengths, while our ambitious outlook ensures we continue to provide each person with opportunities to thrive. We’re also committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. If you’re ready to play your part in defining the future of law: It’s Time.