Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Business Area: Knowledge - Data Analytics & Governance
Role: Data Literacy Consultant
Reporting to: Head of Data Analytics & Governance
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, working flexibly to meet the demands of the role and your own work life balance. You will be required to be in the office between two and three days per week.
Ashurst is embarking on delivering an ambitious data strategy programme of work to uplift the data capabilities within the firm to meet the growing demand for insights through data. The data strategy proposes a programme of work that will improve the firm's data literacy, effecting cultural change that enables the firm to be both "data-fit" and "data-driven". This new role is focused on developing the training, communications and change management that's needed to improve our data literacy. This role will plan and execute a curriculum of data literacy awareness and training focused on both legal and business services colleagues.
The Knowledge department aims to provide our lawyers and business services staff with the highest quality know-how, data, information resources and research support to enable delivery of consistently excellent client service.
- To develop a data literacy programme for the firm.
- Leading all aspects of the firm's data literacy programme, including administering the overall planning, coaching and mentoring team members and clients, providing high-level project management, and maintaining business relationships.
- Foster the creation of a data-driven culture and data literacy across the enterprise.
- Assist the Head of Data Analytics and Governance in the development, implementation and ongoing review of a Data Literacy framework.
- Drive and own the business wide plan and roadmap for improving data literacy and building a data-driven culture aligned with the wider data and analytics strategy.
- Create a data literacy curriculum (possibly in conjunction with a specialist provider) that meets the needs of different departments and literacy levels.
- Regularly measure the data literacy levels within the firm and provide targeted training to close gaps.
- Be a champion of change for data literacy, raising the profile across the firm and act as a link between the business and the wider Data Governance team for data literacy.
- Work with the Change team to plan data literacy communications for data related projects.
- Provide data literacy advisory services to internal clients.
- Work with business to influence and educate, capturing business needs; understand the client journey and define user requirements aligned to data literacy.
- Coach and develop employees to make use of data and information and the path to becoming a data-driven organisation.
- Act as the subject matter expert within the organisation and liaise with stakeholders to ensure data literacy goals and objectives are met.
- Implements principles, policies, standards, and guidelines for data literacy.
- Teaches and advocates the use of business intelligence across levels of the organisation.
- Develops and gives presentations on the power and value of data.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a data literacy role.
- Proven aptitude and a passion for data literacy as a discipline with the ability to describe business use cases/outcomes, data sources and management concepts, and analytical approaches/options.
- Gravitas to develop a framework for information and analytics literacy, as well as to sell and promote it in all levels of the business.
- Excellent business acumen and interpersonal skills; able to work across business lines to influence and effect change to achieve common goals.
- The ability to translate among the languages used by business and IT stakeholders and an ability to convey data concepts in a non-technical way.
- Growth mindset - ability to regularly learn and adopt new technology, knowledge, skills and ideas.
- Able and willing to collaborate in a team environment and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to form collaborative relationships across functions.
- Strategic, intellectually curious thinker with focus on outcomes.
- Understanding of change management methodologies.
- Awareness of trends and developments in the fields of data management and data analytics.
- Ability to effectively drive business, culture and change in a dynamic and complex operating environment.
- Influencing skills and demonstrable ability to engage both technical and business colleagues to achieve target outcomes.
- Experience of applying different strategies to influence opinions or plans and ensure that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case.
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and prioritise work.
- Exceptional analytical, written, oral, and presentation skills with proven track record of effectively communicating actionable insights.
- Keen interest in understanding the business and lateral/analytical thinking.
Desired skills and experience
- Broad experience desired, but not essential, in multiple competency areas of data and analytics delivery. Examples are data warehousing, business intelligence (BI), data governance, data architecture, data integration, data classification, data strategy, data quality management, data security and privacy, MDM, data standards, regulatory compliance and enterprise architecture frameworks.
- Experience of working in a global professional services firm.