We currently have an opportunity for a Tax Reserves Manager to join our Partners' Affairs and Tax (“PAT”) team supporting the Partner Finance Controller and the Head of International Tax in the management of the global tax affairs of the Allen & Overy grouping, with a specific focus on the delivery of partners’ tax reserves.
Role and responsibilities
- Develop a detailed understanding of the tax systems of the territories in which A&O operates in relation to partner tax reserves
- Set up of tax reserves both in GBP and in currency, for both equity and employee/consultant partners, and subsequent reconciliation and release of residual balances, including review of various tax equalisation arrangements
- Coordination of work done by UK and international tax teams to obtain a consolidated view of partners’ overall tax reserves positions as part of ongoing reserves reconciliation and releases processes, including ownership of UK overlap relief calculations
- Ongoing review of existing processes to ensure that they continue to be appropriate (e.g. to reflect impacts of business change transactions and external legislative developments), and to identify opportunities to improve these
- Play a leading role in determining and putting in place appropriate processes for reconciling partner tax reserves for new offices and ensuring that these are maintained going forward
- Support year-end work to deliver tax reserves calculations, tax equalisation calculations and relevant tax disclosures
- Ensuring that positions taken in relation to partner tax reserves are correctly reflected in relevant accounting systems
- Communications with partners, CFOs and other stakeholders in relation to tax reserving matters
- Liaising with external advisors where required
- Coordinate and support the work of junior team members in London and Belfast
- Collaborative approach and ability to build strong relationships with PAT team colleagues in London, Belfast, and Hong Kong as well as colleagues in other teams located across the globe
- Ability to effectively communicate complex tax and accounting issues both orally and in writing to non-specialists
- Strong analytical skills and an eye for detail
- Broad knowledge of tax issues affecting partners in professional partnerships
Who we are looking for
- Strong General Ledger accounting skills
- Evidence of strong numeric skills
- ACA or equivalent accounting qualification
- Tax qualification (e.g. ADIT or CTA) desirable
- Personal or Corporate Tax Experience to Manager level
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.