Temporary (6 month FTC)
1 October 2021
Who we are // Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, advising on high-profile and ground- breaking transactions around the globe. The firm provides clients with a professional service of the highest calibre, combining our technical excellence with an unparalleled commercial awareness and a practical, constructive approach to legal issues.
We are offering you the opportunity to be part of the team that supports our lawyers in providing outstanding legal advice to some of the world’s leading businesses.
At Slaughter and May, we have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do. Our inclusive spirit will ensure your contribution is valued and you will enjoy an open, friendly and supportive culture. As a market leader, we will provide you with excellent benefits, facilities and training opportunities to support you in your career.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for an organised and engaging individual to join our London-based Head Office as an Administrator, initially on a 6 month fixed term contract (‘FTC’).
We are recruiting an organised and ambitious Administrator to work within the Corporate practice stream based at the firm’s Head Office in London, initially on a six month FTC. The role is to work Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.30pm, in the office and alongside a wider team of 2 other Administrators and 21 Executive Assistants (‘EAs’), although as with all client-led industries a degree of flexibility is required.
The role will report to the practice stream’s Practice Support Manager (‘PSM’).
The successful candidate, together with the other 2 Administrators, will provide administrative support across our three Corporate groups, playing a critical role in undertaking routine administrative tasks to directly support the wider EA team and to support our Responsible Business initiatives, particularly in relation to reducing paper.
This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who is keen to learn and develop in an administrative role, providing exceptional service within a busy and professional environment.
Whilst not an exhaustive list, the key responsibilities of this role are set out below.
- Draft simple emails and create standard form letters, using house styles and templates.
- Amend and engross correspondence, engagement letters, documents, agendas, reports, presentations, diagrams and spreadsheets.
- Assist EAs with document automation.
- Update worklists.
- Create courier request forms and prepare appropriate packaging.
- Collect and distribute internal and external mail.
- Process expense claims (Chrome River).
- Enter fee-earner time (Carpe Diem).
- Index and bundle files/documents for archiving.
- Create spine labels and front sheets for lever-arch folders.
- General administrative support, e.g. bundling, indexing, photocopying, printing and scanning.
- Book meeting rooms, restaurants and taxis, and arrange refreshments for internal meetings.
- Monitor stationery cupboards and liaise with Facilities to ensure fully and appropriately stocked at all times.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge in relation to internal and external travel policies and procedures, check country specific safety advice and travel news via the firm’s travel insurance provider’s travel resources website.
- Assist with the organisation of events and hospitality, to include collating RSVPs, arranging restaurants/venues and any necessary equipment, attending events and supporting the preparation and distribution of name badges.
- Attend and contribute to team meetings as required.
- Assist EAs in maintaining and updating contact information within the firm’s Client Relationship Management system (Dynamics).
- Build strong working relationships with EA team and wider fee earner team.
- Build strong and collaborative relationships with business services teams and maintain effective and efficient use of business support services.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within peer group and wider team, and provide team support to cover absences and during times of increased workflow.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of, and ensure compliance with, quality standards and the firm’s policies in general.
- Undertake additional ad hoc duties to support the group as necessary.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent attention to detail and use of grammar.
- Good typing speed, maintaining accuracy and pride in their work product.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work well within a team/be a strong team-player.
- A solution-focused attitude.
- A collaborative and supportive approach in relation to the business and its initiatives, and a willingness to get to grips with new technology, taking the training opportunities provided by the firm.
- The ability to manage and prioritise a varied workflow, and to remain proactive and flexible at all times.
- The ability to anticipate and identify potential problems and escalate appropriately.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task, keep calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- A willingness and confidence to make suggestions where appropriate, and to be adaptable and open to change.
- Professionalism and integrity, displaying high standards of professional ethics.
You will also be expected to display the attributes set out under the firm’s Key Behaviours for Business Services staff for this level of role. Below are the most relevant for this role:
- Technical & professional expertise
- Service excellence
- Drive to deliver
- Analysis & judgement
- Communication & influence
- Working with others