Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic Health and Safety team within the Facilities and Operations Department, which supports our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join us as Health and Safety Adviser, in our leading London-based Health and Safety Team.
We are recruiting for an experienced Health and Safety Adviser to join the Health and Safety team within the Facilities and Operations Department.
The Health and Safety Adviser is responsible for working with the Health and Safety Team to provide comprehensive health, safety and wellbeing support to the firm, ensuring a proactive and considered approach.
In addition to general health and safety responsibilities throughout the firm, this role will have a particular focus on building related risk.
We are open to discussing this as a fixed-term contract opportunity.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. You may be required on occasion to work outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Work as part of the health and safety team to provide comprehensive support for the health, safety and wellbeing of all members of the firm.
- Reasonable adjustments: Assess and ensure provision of reasonable adjustments to persons dependent on their individual requirements and ensure all information is accurately recorded. Organise specialist assessment as necessary. Liaise with HR over occupational health referrals.
- Risk assessments: Ensure appropriate procedures are in place (including requesting, reviewing, following up and recording), together with all associated administration.
- Internal audits: Take a proactive approach to audits, including arranging, conducting, recording and following up on findings to ensure all areas are reviewed within an appropriate timeframe.
- External audits/assessments: Identify requirement for, and organise appropriate external audits and assessments (including following up on actions) as required.
- Organise and deliver training appropriate to the firm’s needs (ensuring delegates recertification within necessary timeframes where applicable), together with all associated administration.
- Liaise with the Premises and Engineering team to seek comfort in relation to health and safety on behalf of the firm regarding:
- control of contractors (including risk assessments and permit to work); and
- implications/arrangements relating to projects.
- Accidents: take a proactive approach to investigation, trend identification and recommendations for improvement in processes.
- Work with the Health and Safety Team to develop, implement and drive forward the firm’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing Strategy.
- Prepare reports and presentations for submission/distribution.
- Work with Health and Safety Team to identify and implement areas of improvement and innovation across the firm.
- Deliver advice and guidance as necessary.
- Work closely with the Health and Safety team and cover during periods of absence.
- Attend meetings, record minutes and provide management information including status updates.
- Keep knowledge up to date by attending talks, workshops and meetings.
Candidates for this position must have:
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Health and Safety.
- Displays exceptional attention to detail with good analytical skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple deliverables within a tight timeframe.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of people.
- Demonstrates excellent organisational skills.
- Additional skills as dictated by the requirements of the role at any given time.