Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
This role is responsible for ensuring an efficient and effective administration service is provided to the Birmingham office in order to provide for the smooth operation of the day to day business of the firm. A degree of flexibility is inherent in the role. There follows a list of duties which is not exhaustive. It will evolve and may be added to or amended over time.
What you'll be doing
- Liaising with Senior Operations Manager and Support Services Directors to ensure a firm wide consistent and on-budget approach to the provision of administration services
- Assuming responsibility for safety and facilities management in the office
- Reviewing, identifying and implementing improved working practices and adherence to Firmwide policies and procedures
- Monitoring and reporting regularly on the activities of the Birmingham office to the partners
- As part of the Management team, ensure consistent adherence to Firmwide policies
- Liaising with library regarding books, journals and other research materials
- Liaising with T&H IS Department on all office IS matters including training requirements, telephone systems, video conferencing, fault reporting, printers, system upgrades
- Assistance with planning and logistics of deployment of technology
- Maintenance of office IS inventory and Hotdesk facilities
- Liaising with T&H Servicedesk to resolve any hardware problems.
- Ensuring all support staff are trained on all IS systems required for the proper performance of their duties.
- Liaison with IS for the set up for Starters, Leavers, temporary staff and visitors
- Liaison with Finance department to ensure no unbudgeted expenditure is incurred
- Approval of Birmingham Operations budgeted items prior to submission to Finance for payment
- Liaison with Marketing department on all Marketing activities in the Birmingham office, including
- Ensuring adequate up to date marketing materials are displayed in reception
- Organising and assisting as requested with staff and marketing events
- Assisting with planning and management of seminars
- Promoting and monitoring house style and branding
Lexcel / File Management
- Liaison with the Birmingham Lexcel Partner to ensure office and support staff adherence to the firm wide file management policies and procedures
- Creation and maintenance of the Office Manual including constant monitoring and review of the office procedures and systems and identifying areas for improvement
- Maintaining the file opening, management and closing procedures in accordance with Firmwide procedures.
- Keeping securely all essential office administration records and files
- Reminding all staff regularly about office confidentiality and office procedures.
- To assist with local induction of new joiners
- To assist with recruitment of support staff for the office
- To supervise business support staff where appropriate
- To ensure Firmwide overtime policies and procedures are adhered to
- To assist with day to day support staff issues in collaboration with the HR department and to escalate matters where appropriate
- Liaison with National Secretarial Services manager in supervision of PA's
- Planning and managing internal office moves including updates to the Intranet, Condeco desk booking and seating plans
- Handling maintenance issues
- Liaising with office cleaners
- Management of security arrangements including access passes for permanent and temporary staff.
- Providing details of expected visitors to security
- Maintaining good relationship with Landlord's agent and on site security
- Liaising with other tenants as necessary
Front of House Liaison
- Liaison with Front of House in London and Birmingham to oversee the operation of the following activities
- Ordering and maintaining adequate refreshments, catering supplies and flowers
- Arranging appropriate newspaper and magazine subscriptions for the reception area
- Presentation, booking and set up of meeting rooms including AV and catering facilities
- Meeting and greeting visitors including internal guests and arrangements for Hot desks for internal guests
Health and Safety
- Liaison with Facilities Manager to oversee the operation of the following activities
- H&S inductions for new staff and secondments to the Birmingham office
- Liaison on H&S risk assessments for new staff and after internal desk moves
- Arranging appointment of and training for Fire wardens and First aiders
- Liaising with our external H&S Consultant during annual review and audits
Management of Support staff including PA/TA's
- Supervision of General Office and Central Registry staff including holiday approvals and ensuring adequate cover is provided during absence periods.
- Liaison with Head of Secretarial Services on supervision of PA/TA staff. Responsibilities include holiday approvals, allocation of support to Fee earners (for PA's) and ensuing adequate cover is provided during absence periods.
- Liaison with Head of Front of House Services UK on supervision of Front of House staff. Responsibilities include holiday approvals and ensuing adequate cover is provided during absence periods.
- Responsibility for stationery stocks and other office equipment. Monitoring orders and approval of budgeted costs
- Coordination of the office Evolvi rail and hotel booking procedures
- Management of incoming and outgoing post, faxes and DX, collections and deliveries
- Responsibility for the Central Registry function, recording and retrieval of deeds and archiving and retrieval of files
What you'll need
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Good leadership and people management skills
- An ability to operate autonomously with minimum supervision
- Common sense and an ability to devise practical solutions
- A responsible and reliable individual
- Drive and enthusiasm
- A strong team player
- Ability to use initiative
- A positive and proactive attitude
- Flexibility and commitment
- IWFM qualification or a desire to study (desirable)
- Office Manager experience within a professional services environment (essential)
- Experience in a law firm (desirable)
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.