Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
To facilitate the smooth running of day to day trainee HR and development matters through efficient execution of operational practices and duties.
To support the National HR Manager in recruiting high calibre trainees and vacation visitors to the firm. In particular to run the campus programme and vacation schemes.
Hours, Monday to Friday, 9:30 - 5:30. However, role requires flexibility to attend evening recruitment and vacation scheme events as well as travel to UK universities.
- Develop process plan for annual summer and winter vacation schemes and training contract programmes.
- Screening of applications and utilisation of psychometric assessments.
- Manage interviews and assessment centres, post interview consideration ("wash-up") and offer process
- Build strong relationships with Associate and Partner interview committee who are responsible for graduate and solicitor apprenticeship programmes.
- Using collated feedback to assist with hiring decisions
- Make verbal training contract offers and manage candidates post-offer to encourage acceptance
- Use of Application Tracking system to include reporting
- Run vacation schemes (one winter and one summer) with assistance from Early Careers Team. To include supervisor briefings, organising and briefing senior speakers and the trainee social committee, distribution of assessed tasks and introducing/speaking at presentations and events during the scheme
- Act as first point of contact for vacation visitors, answering queries regarding the firm, their application/interviews. Conduct one-to-one feedback sessions on conclusion of scheme alongside Early Careers Team
- Decide on topic/content and attend/present at regular in-house recruitment events
- Operational working relationship with event providers (such as Bright) to ensure good representation of the firm at joint employer events
- Operational working relationship with key partners (such Rare and Open) to ensure our pipeline of candidates is diverse
- Operational relationships with university contacts such as law societies, faculties and careers services to ensure good coverage of Ashurst brand
- Assist Early Careers Team with brochure, website, print ad and promotional items annual review
- Answer escalated candidate and other external queries
- Maintain a good working knowledge of target university profiles
- Manage print and web advertising via outsourced agency (including tracking spend and return)
- Liaise with internal design and print team to create stimulating promotional materials which reflect the firm's employer brand
- Generate content for and maintain social media content
- Work with Early Careers team to coordinate all aspects of the induction of trainee solicitors
- Act as the main contact point for future trainees
- Liaise with the University of Law to monitor performance and development of future trainees.
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Previous demonstrable experience within HR and graduate market place/higher education landscape
- Working knowledge of HR good practice and employment law
- Strong client focus
- Conscientious with strong attention to detail
- Personable and approachable style in order to communicate well at all levels
- Persuasive and confident
- Work well within a team and work autonomously when needed
- Hard working, using initiative to manage own workload, especially at busy times
- Flexible approach
- Proactive approach with a 'can-do' attitude. Able to generate new ideas
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)