We currently have an opportunity for an In-House Lawyer to join our highly collaborative Business Acceptance Unit (BAU) in the London office to take a lead role in analysing and resolving the most complex issues in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, as well as enhancing and developing processes and procedures to ensure a first class service is provided to our partners and clients.
The BAU team process requests from partners for the firm to accept new legal matters including performing anti-money laundering, sanctions and background checks on new clients and performing conflicts checks (within internal databases) on each new matter (for both new and existing clients). The team work closely with partners and other senior stakeholders to facilitate resolution of legal and business conflict issues and to ensure that regulatory obligations with respect to client identification and ongoing monitoring are met in each of the jurisdictions in which Allen & Overy operates.
Role and responsibilities
- Liaising with the existing BAU Managers, Senior Analysts and BAU team management in relation to the allocation of resources within the team to ensure the BAU’s processes in these areas run as smoothly and efficiently as possible and that workload is managed and completed in a timely way.
- In conjunction with the existing BAU Managers, assisting with the day-to-day management of those members of the BAU team focused on AML and sanctions compliance.
- Working closely with and supporting the Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions and UK MLRO to implement enhancements and changes to the BAU’s processes in respect of AML compliance to ensure the strategic objective for the firm’s global AML compliance is achieved and monitoring the same on an ongoing basis.
- Analysing and resolving (or, where appropriate, facilitating resolution of) professional, legal, regulatory and commercial issues relating to business acceptance and client engagement in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, which are referred by the BAU analyst and legal teams, by partners and by all other levels of lawyer and support staff, including in the following areas:
- anti-money laundering client ID issues;
- reputational and suitability issues; and
- sanctions questions.
- Being a senior contact point for local MLROs globally in relation to the BAU team’s processes and procedures.
- Monitoring changes in practice, professional rules, regulations and the law as affects financial crime and sanctions globally and escalating any proposed adjustments/enhancements to the Heads of Business Acceptance Unit and Financial Crime & Sanctions for consideration.
- Assisting and supporting the Money Laundering Compliance Officer and Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions in ensuring that firm and BAU policy and procedure in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, including client ID checks, meet applicable requirements and that the process is as efficient and streamlined as possible, whilst remaining thorough and rigorous.
- Helping to develop and refine internal databases and evaluating external databases of information /services for use in the business acceptance process, particularly technological solutions in the area of AML compliance.
- Helping in the design of and taking day-to-day responsibility for the management of major financial crime and sanctions projects (e.g. introduction of new technological solutions and processes, sanctions matter records sweeps, group lateral hires, client re-identification and AML data deletion).
- Assisting in the design, implementation and delivery of training for the BAU team and fee earners in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, particularly anti-money laundering compliance.
- Supporting the Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions with and helping to manage the day-to-day aspects of the recruitment processes in relation to vacancies in the BAU team.
- Where requested, representing the BAU in the areas of financial crime and sanctions at cross-departmental and external meetings.
- Supporting the AML Regulation Officer in responding to regulatory audit requests relating to AML compliance, including working with the Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions to ensure any post-audit recommendations implemented.
- Assisting with anti-money laundering compliance audits commissioned by Allen & Overy.
- Assisting with the day-to-day aspects of the process for ongoing client and counterparty screening using the Accuity software, including helping the Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions in refining and further developing the use of that technology.
- Providing regular reports and updates of team workload to BAU team management.
- Being flexible in undertaking the above responsibilities and any others so required.
- Strong academic background – minimum of a 2:1.
- Must be a qualified solicitor.
- Existing senior level experience of work and responsibilities of an international BAU team in the areas of AML and sanctions compliance.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of BAU systems and processes in the areas of AML and sanctions compliance.
- Ability to analyse facts and scenarios thoroughly (and yet quickly) and to proactively put forward resolutions to problems.
- Top-level task management and organisational skills and a proven ability to manage multiple tasks under time pressure.
- Strong communicator with a proven ability to motivate others and communicate positively and effectively with team members, fee earners and support staff.
- Authority and credibility to inspire confidence in and lead team members.
- Some experience of and an interest in further developing people management and mentoring skills.
- Willingness to work hard and to take day-to-day responsibility for the BAU’s workload and key processes in the areas of AML and sanctions compliance.
- Enthusiastic, positive-minded, self-motivated and pro-active.
- Possessing a “can do” approach with an ability to solve problems and look beyond practical and logistical challenges by suggesting solutions and implementing them.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.