WHO WE ARE
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally, providing clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients. We are now offering the opportunity for a 2 to 4 PQE solicitor to become part of our dynamic IP/Tech group, which provides first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well- known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, technically strong and engaging individual to join us as an Associate, in our London-based IP/Tech group.
In addition to its highly regarded IP/Tech practice, the firm has extensive Corporate, Financial Institutions, Commercial and Financing practices. It also has strong practices in Financial Regulation, Tax, Competition, Real Estate, Dispute Resolution, Data Privacy and Pensions and Employment.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of matters. Much of the work spans the globe, with transactions involving our overseas offices as well as leading independent law firms in many other jurisdictions.
Associates tend to work for partners in their own group, but you may also work for partners in other groups to provide a breadth of experience not only in types of work, but also in the different working practices and approach of different partners.
The matters we work on are generally challenging and sophisticated, frequently requiring work outside our normal working hours. We do, however, aim to provide a supportive environment that enables our associates to become the best lawyers they can be with ample opportunity to build relationships with clients and take responsibility for delivering a high quality work product.
Group structure of our IP/Tech practice Our IP/Tech practice is led by 4 partners and currently has 18 associates, 5 trainees and 2 dedicated and experienced professional support lawyers. As an associate with us, you will work with all of the partners in the IP/Tech group and also those from elsewhere in the firm, giving you the opportunity to see a wide range of working styles and strategic approaches.
The practice acts for a broad range of clients across a number of sectors, including consumer brands, pharmaceuticals, financial services, high street and online retail, transport, media, telecoms, technology, e-commerce, utilities, sport and central Government.
The work involves advising on matters of intellectual property, information technology and emerging technology, telecoms, commercial contracts (including strategic sourcing and outsourcing), franchising, e-commerce and data privacy, rather than specialising in one area, in keeping with our ‘multi-specialist’ approach. This gives our lawyers regular client contact and significant involvement in clients’ broader business interests. You will therefore be in a position to build strong client relationships from the moment you join us and be involved in both the legal and commercial decision-making at some of the largest commercial organisations in the world, including Virgin, Standard Chartered, Tottenham Hotspur, GSK, Diageo, Reckitt Benckiser, Ineos, Ocado, Burberry, Vodafone and Rolls-Royce.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed.
- Advising on trade mark licensing, distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements and franchising deals
- Advising on the full range of intellectual property disputes, from patent actions to all forms of dispute relating to trade marks, passing off, copyright, database rights, design rights and breach of confidence claims
- Advising on the IP and technology aspects of M&A, disposals and joint ventures. For example, establishing sophisticated asset contribution and licensing structures, conducting complex due diligence exercises on very substantial IP portfolios or technology arrangements, negotiating critical transitional servicing arrangements and advising on the creation and enforcement of security interests over IP and technology assets
- Advising on commercial IT arrangements from strategic IT procurement programs and cloud solutions to traditional software, development, licensing and maintenance agreements
- Advising on emerging technology trends, development and implementation, including AI and machine learning, blockchain/DLT, smart contracts and quantum technologies across a range of sectors
- Supporting the firm’s early stage, and growth stage, innovator and entrepreneur clients, many of whom are developing and collaborating around IP and technology in sectors such as fintech, insurtech, sustainability and cleantech and social mobility
- Advising on the full range of sourcing arrangements - from technology outsourcings to more general business transformation outsourcing; advising on different strategic sourcing structures including co-sourcing, multi-sourcing, offshoring and insourcing
- Advising clients around Cyber resilience, including preparing for and responding to major breaches, and handling regulatory investigations and follow-on claims
- Developing professional relationships with clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the IP/Tech practice as well as the wider firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including trainees
- Providing efficient professional support for partners.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Appropriate level of post-qualification experience (we anticipate between 2-4 PQE in a City or leading international firm)
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- Exposure to complex IP/technology transactions or commercial contracts
- Previous experience giving IP/technology advice in a strategic context
- Experience of reviewing, analysing and providing detailed advice on legislation
- First rate drafting skills
- Strong academic background and a demonstrable high level of intellectual rigour
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and transaction management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations and meetings
- A real desire to grow the IP/Tech business of the firm
- High level of professionalism and integrity
- Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.