Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, advising on high-profile and ground-breaking transactions around the globe. The firm provides clients with a professional service of the highest calibre, combining our technical excellence with an unparalleled commercial awareness and a practical, constructive approach to legal issues.
We are offering you the opportunity to be part of the team that supports our lawyers in providing outstanding legal advice to some of the world’s leading businesses.
At Slaughter and May, we have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do. Our inclusive spirit will ensure your contribution is valued and you will enjoy an open, friendly and supportive culture. As a market leader, we will provide you with excellent benefits, facilities and training opportunities to support you in your career.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join us as an Associate in our Disputes and Investigations group.
Our Disputes and Investigations practice is led by 12 partners and currently has 58 associates and 17 trainees. As an associate with us, you will potentially work with any of the partners in the DR group and also those from elsewhere, giving you the opportunity to see a wide range of working styles and strategic approaches.
The work involves High Court matters, regulatory and prosecutorial investigations, domestic and international arbitrations, formal inquiries and cross-border disputes.
The practice encompasses the whole range of commercial and financial disputes including banking litigation, competition litigation, contractual and other commercial disputes, administrative law matters and energy/infrastructure disputes. It also includes investigations carried out by the FCA, SFO, European Commission, CMA, HMRC and overseas investigating agencies.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. You may be required on occasion to work outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
- Advising on the legal and commercial aspects of a wide range of commercial and financial disputes
- Advising on a wide range of commercial and financial litigation, including cross-border disputes
- Advising on a wide range of commercial and financial arbitrations
- Advising on legal and commercial aspects of a wide range of investigations and enforcement actions brought by regulators
- Developing professional relationships with clients and potential clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including trainees
- Providing effective support for partners.
- Appropriate level of post-qualification experience (we anticipate 3-5 years PQE in a City or leading international firm)
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- Broad exposure to complex, high value disputes and investigations
- Previous experience giving dispute resolution advice in a strategic context
- First rate drafting skills
- Strong academic background and a high level of intellectual rigour
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and project management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations/meetings
- Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.