Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
We provide a fully integrated real estate dispute resolution law service for clients which works closely alongside our national projects, real estate, construction and litigation teams.
Our practice has extensive experience of acting for public and private sector commercial clients on a wide range of real estate disputes in principal areas such as development, institutional investment, enfranchisement and service charges. We have experience in all forms of alternative disputes resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
Our real estate litigation practice which delivers high quality, practical and commercial real estate dispute resolution services. In order to ensure we are fully able to resource the growing number of work opportunities arising, we are seeking to appoint an experienced paralegal.
What you'll do
- Advising a mixed client base of commercial sector clients on a broad range of real estate disputes;
- Providing advice on property litigation matters both in writing and by telephone;
- Negotiate settlements with opposing parties and advising clients on this subject;
- Drafting court proceedings, witness statements and affidavits;
- Preparing trial bundles;
- Progressing and managing cases that proceed to trial by complying with Court directions such as disclosure and instructing counsel;
- Supporting the wider Dispute Resolution & Litigation team (DR&L) when required;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Active participation in marketing initiatives;
- Participating in firm-wide, office and departmental training sessions;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
What you'll need
The firm has a competency framework for senior paralegals and in particular for this role we require:
- LLB / GDL graduate required;
- LPC desirable but not essential;
- Excellent academic record;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Strong technical skills;
- Client focused;
- Team based approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills;
- Client management experience;
- Previous paralegal experience desirable; and
- Experience of litigation matters, ideally property.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.