Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you will work
Working in our main reception area you will be the face of our Exeter office. Often you will be the first contact our clients have had with the Firm either in person or over the phone. You will be meeting and greeting internal and external clients ensuring they all receive a warm welcome and leave with the best impression of Trowers & Hamlins. You will work closely with our Receptionists across our UK offices and may assist in picking up calls or arranging meetings in other areas.
What you will be doing
- Deliver a quality professional reception service to the firm's clients, partners and employees at all times
- Maintain the Reception area to ensure that it is always smart, professional looking and tidy
- Meet and greet clients and visitors
- Answer all incoming telephone calls and re-direct to the appropriate person, take accurate, clear telephone messages and passing on to the relevant person in a timely fashion
- Responsible for setting up telephone, conference calls and AV facilities
- Ensure catering and presentational requirements are provided for each room booking, as necessary. If outside catering is required for an event, ensure this is in place meeting the requirements of the host.
- Ensure the meeting room(s) are cleared promptly after use and client ready at all times
- Ensure the client kitchen facility and equipment is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Assist with preparing for and running marketing events in the office, which may require working out of hours from time to time
- Make travel arrangements and bookings
- Assist General Office/Office Manager with admin to include:
- Building access control
- Catering Supplies ordering
This list of duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and may be subject to change depending on the needs of the business.
What you will need
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written
- Able to operate autonomously and/or with minimum supervision
- Able to use initiative and be proactive
- Flexible and committed
- Driven and enthusiastic
- A willingness to learn
- A self starter
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach
- Common sense
- Strong client focus
- Good humour and positive outlook
- Polite with a calm and professional manner
- Tidy and professional appearance (You will be provided with a uniform).
- Previous office and reception experience (essential)
- Experience of setting up AV equipment (desirable)
- Experience of Condeco (desirable)
- Good computer skills (including Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel)
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.