We are currently recruiting for a Finance Manager to join our team in London. The Finance Manager is a vital role within the London Finance team and is responsible for delivering or co-ordinating key aspects of the day-to-day operational Finance service to the firm’s ADS businesses with a key focus on risk and controls and supporting the Financial Controller in the London legal practice. The role will also be responsible for delivering reporting, analysis, budgeting and long term financial planning support as well as such commercial finance support as required by the ADS businesses leaders as the ADS businesses develop and mature.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for reviewing the management accounts (prepared by the Shared Services Centre in Belfast), prepare monthly reports for the individual ADS businesses and work with the Financial Controller on monthly tasks and ad-hoc requests. The role is a key point of contact in the finance team interacting frequently with the ADS leaders and management teams, adapting to their developing needs and co-ordinating the efforts of the various offices’ Finance teams where ADS businesses operate.
The role will also provide support to the Financial Controller for the London legal practice, ensuring consistency in the approach to the legal practice and Advanced Delivery & Solutions, and accurate and timely reporting.
Role and responsibilities
- Work closely with the Management Accounts team in the Shared Service Centre and monitor service in relation to management / financial accounts to ensure that the London office and the ADS leaders receive a high quality of service
- Review of ADS businesses' monthly P&Ls and commentary, and assist in review of London monthly P&Ls and commentary and investigation of issues
- Prepare monthly reports for ADS leaders and other financial analysis as required
- Hold regular meetings with ADS leaders to develop a detailed understanding of those businesses, their key drivers and future plans and liaise with them on their results
- Management of and accounting for client volume discount arrangements, including working with revenue team, marketing team and the global pricing team
- Provide finance support to the developing needs of the ADS units as their needs command
- Maintain financial controls to prevent and detect fraud or errors
- Co-ordinate and provide key support to ADS management teams to prepare firm’s global budget and forecast
- Assist with the Group audit and provide reports and analysis as required
- Work with the Group Finance team to ensure that the needs of ADS businesses are addressed when changes to Finance systems are considered
- Understand A&O group accounting / Finance policies, anticipate where compliance with such policies is likely to cause issues for the ADS strategy and develop constructive, workable solutions
- Proactively seek process improvements, including reporting and use of finance systems, with the aim of improving accuracy, consistency and efficiency
- Develop close relationships with group pricing, finance systems and group reporting teams in London, local BD team and peers across the network
Competencies for success
- Experience in a large company/firm and also experience of start-up business would be very advantageous
- Must be a pro-active self-starter with drive, enthusiasm and tenacity, possessing excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent analytical and numeracy skills are a prerequisite for the role
- Excellent attention to detail, prioritisation and organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure, cope with the high and varied workloads and deal with multiple clients
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with finance and non-finance stakeholders and key management
- Demonstrate a hands-on approach and success in working in a team based environment
- Excellent Excel skills and proficient in MS applications
- Travel to Belfast may be required
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS and practical assurance techniques
- Educated to degree level
- ACA (or equivalent), with around 5 years’ PQE (ideally with professional experience in audit / assurance)
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.