The purpose of the role is to participate in the preparation of the group's statutory accounts, the group audit, and those of local offices, and management of certain Balance Sheet items as well as supporting the Group develop a strong internal control environment. The role is within the Group Reporting team based in London. It will have significant involvement with finance colleagues across the firm and with the group's external auditors.
What will you do:
• Year end planning, preparation & GL review.
• Preparation, publication and review of reporting package for all offices to complete and submit to Head Office.
• Assistance in timetable management of the group's statutory audit between auditors, Head Office Finance colleagues and international offices,
• Preparation of audit requests directly, plus co-ordination of requests to the wider team, ensuring deliverables are correctly allocated, provided timely, of required quality and explanations provided.
• Group Consolidation (in Excel) of approx. 25 ledgers
• Preparation of the firm's consolidated statutory accounts and subsidiary LLP and company accounts, including preparation of all statutory notes and disclosures.
• Preparation, review and commentary on items of analysis to support audit sign off.
• Preparation and finalisation of all year-end entries and eliminations, posting final entries into ledgers, ledger reconciliation and close.
• Assisting the team in maintaining knowledge and application of FRS102 and other reporting frameworks as appropriate.
• Supporting the Group CFO in the development of an internal controls assurance programme to be rolled out across the firm.
• Identification of control improvements and standardisation of controls across the firm.
• Participating in the ongoing development to optimise the efficiency, ease and usefulness of financial processes on certain balance sheet items. This will involve working closely with colleagues across Finance, IT and Business Systems teams, and requires the ability to develop a high level of expertise in the systems/tools used (Dynamics AX and Atlas).
Management of interoffice accounts and other activities
• Control, reconciliation and quarterly settlement process of Interoffice balance sheet accounts.
• Other sundry / adhoc reporting requests that Group finance are required to provide to the business / stakeholders across the Group.
What we are looking for:
Education / Qualifications:
• University degree (2.1 degree or above).
• Holder of full membership of professional accountancy body.
• 1-4 years post qualification experience.
• Experience of working with statutory auditors.
• Experience of producing/auditing/reviewing a group consolidation.
• Previous experience of working in a similar role.
• Previous experience of working in a professional services firm but working in a commercially focused business organisation would also be relevant.
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
• Good technical financial accounting skills and knowledge.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Experience of working with and providing information and explanations to audit standard.
• Advanced Excel, especially proficiency and enthusiasm for using complex Excel formulae.
General Skills required:
• Ability to work accurately and carefully with large financial models with multiple users.
• Ability to multi-task, with an adaptable, flexible and deadline-driven approach to work.
• Ability to quickly identify and investigate anomalies in numerical information.
• High standard of written communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure at high levels of performance.
Here at Simmons & Simmons:
We believe our people define us. Our working environment is genuinely collegiate with a supportive atmosphere and team ethos - we have a reputation for being a friendly culture which we are very proud of. Flexible working, an inclusive and diverse culture, our innovative approach and being truly international are just a few more things that make us, us.
Below are a few more reasons to consider Simmons & Simmons for your next career move:
• Competitive benefits package
• All year round dress down
• International offices including: Hong Kong; Dubai; Tokyo; Dublin; Milan; Bristol; Madrid; Singapore to name a few
• Generous employee referral bonus program
• All offices have their own artwork collections - we have a Damien Hurst and a Tracey Emin in the London office
• We were ranked as a Stonewall Top Global Employer in 2019 for the fourth year running.
• We have recently acquired Wavelength (the first regulated legal engineering firm in the world) which highlights our invested interest in innovation.
If you are interested in finding out more about this vacancy then please contact Emily.Rixon-Smith@simmons-simmons.com with any questions. To apply for the role please click on the link at the bottom of the page/visit the career pages on our website, where there is also a detailed job description.