The role is responsible for the provision of financial analysis and support to the International Practice group Heads (IPGHs) in respect of their International Practice Groups. However, the depth of analysis provided will be greater for the UK National Practice Groups (NPGs) and will involve close liaison with the International Finance Managers in respect of the NPGs outside UK. The role involves working closely with the group heads and other partners and senior associates to ensure that the key business drivers are clearly understood. This includes month end analysis and review, preparation of budgets and reforecast, as well as ad-hoc queries and general financial analysis.
What will you do:
Financial Performance analysis
To produce analysis to help maximise profitability across the UK groups. In particular, detailed analysis around realisation, fee earner utilisation and working capital (lock-up) cycles as well as practice costs review and analysis. The role requires a good understanding of the business and the business needs so that information is responsive and proactive to the ever changing environment and demands.
Business Planning and Budgeting
The role will assist partners define and develop the necessary strategic plans and operational budgets for the business groups.
The role will be actively involved in the production of such plans, including financial projections and budgets, and will be responsible for ensuring that all planning activities are completed to the specified deadlines through appropriate co-ordination of actions between the partners in each business group and the central Finance, Human Resources and Marketing teams.
Business Case proposals
The role will assist group heads in the preparation of business cases to be used to support the election of new partners or the hire of lateral partners within each business group. The role will also be responsible for providing all necessary information to allow independent post-event review of the actual returns arising from such changes.
The role is responsible for co-ordinating the provision of the necessary information, analysis, explanation and support to the partners to allow them to manage their business groups.
What we are looking for:
Education / qualifications / experience:
• Qualified with a recognised professional accounting qualification.
• Relevant University degree or equivalent (2.1 or above)
• Previous management accounting experience of budgeting, planning and financial modelling required.
• Previous relevant experience within professional services or legal environment would be an advantage
Knowledge and technical skills:
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
• Competent Financial modelling and planning
• Confident manipulating large data sets to identify trends and present findings
• Competent use of General Ledger and reporting systems (use of Dynamics AX is an advantage).
• A willingness to learn and understand new systems
• Strong technical accounting knowledge - maintains awareness of changes to GAAP and understands the consequences of such changes.
Here at Simmons & Simmons:
We believe our people define us. Our working environment is genuinely collegiate with a supportive atmosphere and team ethos - we have a reputation for being a friendly culture which we are very proud of. An inclusive and diverse culture, our innovative approach and being truly international are just a few more things that make us, us.
Below are a few more reasons to consider Simmons & Simmons for your next career move:
• Competitive Offer Package including bonus's dependant on role/level, private medical insurance & pension contribution to name a few.
• Dress 'for your day' Code.
• Hybrid working approach of 2 days a week required in the office with flexibility dependant on role/team/client demands.
• A wide range of international offices including: Hong Kong; Dubai; Tokyo; Dublin; Milan; Bristol; Madrid; Singapore.
• All offices have their own artwork collections - with a Damien Hurst and a Tracey Emin in the London office. We have a long standing history in supporting the art community especially up and coming artists.
• The creation of Simmons & Simmons Solutions - bringing together the best legal advice from our established legal teams with non-traditional capabilities that enhance, expand and differentiate the Simmons offering.
• We were ranked as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women and Top 30 Employer for Working Families in 2020.
• We have Social and Sport Committees contributing to Xmas & Summer parties, end of month drinks and various sporting events.
• We also have a range of Diversity Network Groups including LGBT+, Emerge (Race & Ethnicity Network) and The Number One Club (Women's network) who have organised various talks and events firmwide.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position then please contact the Recruitment Team with any questions. To apply for the role please click on the link at the bottom of the page/visit the career pages on our website, where there is also a detailed job description.