Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area - Information Technology
Role: Senior DBA Server Engineer - 12 month FTC
Reporting to: IT Operations Manager
Hours of work -
You will work 9:00 am - 17:30 pm Monday to Friday
Department/ Role Overview:
Your responsibility as a DBA will be the performance, integrity and security of all database. You'll be involved in the planning and development of databases, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. Provide strategic guidance, development and support of Ashurst's Database infrastructure. Provide 4th level operational; support and act as escalation point for Database problems. It is envisaged that the role will be 70% SQL focussed and 30% Server Engineer focussed. The role covers both BAU tasks and project implementations.
- Work closely with application & development teams to support & DEV/TEST/UAT environment refreshes, code promotion & security control
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends within the team rota.
- Configure SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms
- Assist with database technology design and improvement for High availability and DR operations
- Install and configure new SQL Servers
- Deploy database change scripts provided by third party vendors
- When performance issues arise, determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Document the company's database environment
- Act as a key player in project work relating to upkeep and maintenance of Ashurst's backend infrastructure (this includes all Microsoft technologies, backup technologies and SAN storage technologies)
- Input into the design and control of Ashurst's backend infrastructure.
- Input into the design of disaster recovery solutions for Ashursts systems.
- Development of policies and standards to ensure smooth running and optimal performance of backend infrastructure
- Work closely with global infrastructure operations team to ensure smooth transition of projects and technologies into operational support.
- 4th level support of the firms systems. Providing and maintaining internal procedural and technical documentation.
- Work with 3rd party vendors to identify root cause on any support issues.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
In Depth Knowledge of:
- Extensive Microsoft SQL Server experience
- Extensive Microsoft SQL Server experience (versions 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019)
- Experience of SSRS, SSIS & SSAS
- Working with Microsoft Active Directory 2008/2012
- Microsoft clustering Technology
- Experience of Windows 2012/2016 Server and supporting technologies such as DNS,WINS,DHCP
- Virtualisation Technologies in particular Vmware vSphere
- Significant relevant work experience in a similar role
Desired skills and experience
- Use or awareness of Zerto replication technologies
- Use of Microsoft GPO and GPO preferences.
- An understanding of firewalls and firewall technologies.
- An understanding of Security in an Internet connected environment
- An understanding of LAN / WAN technologies.
- Exposure to Powershell
- Exposure to Dell hardware.
- ITIL certification
- Knowledge of infrastructure standards (e.g. ISO)
- Experience of working in a professional services environment