Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic team, which supports our lawyers in providing first- class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart if the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits package to join our London-based Banking and Finance team ensuring excellence is being delivered to the business.
Our Financing practice is divided into two groups of partners and associates.
The groups both act for a broad range of clients and handle a variety of types of work rather than specialising in one small area. However, each group has a slightly different client base and focus: one handles a lot of Debt Capital Markets and Securitisation work as well as Corporate Recovery and Insolvency, the other’s focus is Acquisition and Leveraged Finance and Projects.
This role will be based in one of the Banking and Financing groups (which consists of ten partners, four Professional Support Lawyers ("PSLs") and circa thirty five to forty associates). You will be working closely alongside associates, trainees and partners but may also be liaising with lawyers across the Financing practice as a whole.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed.
- Compiling UKLA checklist for bond issues
- Assisting with signings, including preparing signature pages, preparing signing lists and coordinating signing processes
- Legal research for fee earners
- Due diligence tasks and document review
- Assisting with closings and organising and producing conditions precedent documents
- Reviewing documents, including definition and cross reference checks
- Collecting know-how and precedents from fee earners and uploading to the know-how system
- Preparing grids of summary terms from recent transactions, to help track latest market practice and provide summaries for clients
- Preparing transaction bibles.
Candidates for this position will usually be expected to have completed, or be completing, their Legal Practice Course. We also require candidates to be/have:
- Strong academic and legal background
- Excellent organisational skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and pro-actively
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent eye for detail
- Excellent legal technical knowledge
- Ability to pick up new legal concepts quickly
- Good IT skills and an ability to learn new IT systems quickly
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standard of professional ethics