Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic Facilities and Operations team, which supports our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart if the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join us as an Environment Manager in our London-based Environment team.
The Environment team, part of the Facilities and Operations department, is responsible for providing comprehensive environmental advice and developing and implementing the firm’s environmental strategy.
The Environment Manager will support the Head of Environmental Sustainability and wider Responsible Business team by providing environmental support to the firm. In addition to general environmental responsibilities, the Environment Manager will be responsible for monitoring the firm’s environmental performance and driving improvements.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. You may be required on occasion to work outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
- Work closely with the Head of Environmental Sustainability, Responsible Business colleagues and relevant partners to support the development, implementation and drive the firm’s Environmental Strategy
- Draw on sector and industry best practice to identify and implement areas of improvement and innovation across the firm
- Lead on environmental projects, providing project management updates and liaising with internal and external stakeholders as required
- Support the work of the Responsible Business Committee, Environment Committee and internal networks
- Provide guidance and training to both operational teams and other stakeholders on environmental matters
- Raise awareness and increase engagement with the sustainability agenda amongst colleagues, through implementation of an effective communication programme
- Respond to internal and external client queries, pitches and requests for information
- Proactively work with the Commercial and Procurement Officer and Head of Supplier and Contract Management to develop, implement and drive forward the firm’s commercial and procurement strategy in relation to responsible business
- Work with the firm’s contract owners to identify and reduce environmental and wider responsible business impacts associated with supply chain goods and services
- Attend supplier review and any other meetings as required
- Coordinate and audit compliance with Supplier Relationship Management guidance
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation and keep up to date with regulations and guidance relevant to the firm
- Support internal and external environmental audits
- Identify potential issues/areas of risk and make recommendations/propose solutions, escalating as required
- Work with stakeholders to prepare reports and presentations for internal and external submission/distribution
- Keep knowledge up to date by attending talks, workshops and meetings and proactively seeking industry best practice
- Work closely with, and deputise for, the Head of Environmental Sustainability during periods of absence
- Represent the firm at industry forums, networks and other external events.
Candidates for this position must:
- Have worked, or be working, in a similar role.
- Graduate level with 3 years+ experience, ideally within a professional services environment
- Strong awareness of the developing climate change agenda and relevance to the firm
- Track record in delivering environmental improvements and other sustainability initiatives
- Previous experience of managing Environmental Management Systems, in particular ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 50001:2018
- Strong project management experience with proven ability to manage multiple deliverables within a tight timeframe
- Knowledge and experience of preparing and submitting external sustainability reports (for example CDP, GHG footprint verification)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written, spoken and presentational with a demonstrated experience of delivering excellent levels of client service
- Ability to build strong business relationships with internal and external clients and excellent influencing and networking skills
- Excellent attention to detail and good use of grammar
- A confident, proactive individual prepared to take a hands-on approach to managing their workload using their own initiative
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to multi task, keeps calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standard of professional ethics
- Comfortable accepting instructions and guidance from different angles
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- Problem solving, solution driven, thinking on their feet
- Desirable but not essential:
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as IEMA