Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic Compliance team, supporting our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join us as an AML Officer, in our London-based Compliance Department.
The Compliance Department is headed by the firm’s General Counsel. It is a team of 20 and includes Compliance Lawyers and the Compliance Services team, within which this role sits. The AML Officer will report directly to the Head of Business Acceptance but will have wider interactions with all members of Compliance.
The AML Officer provides support, assistance and training to all users across the firm, and within the Department, in relation to business acceptance, ensuring that all new clients and new matters opened comply with the firm’s Anti-Money Laundering (“AML”) and Client Due Diligence (“CDD”) policies and procedures. The breadth and variety of the role offers opportunities to apply knowledge, learn and develop new skills and participate in projects, monitoring exercises, reviewing procedures and delivering training. Training and development opportunities are provided to support the AML Officer in providing an excellent, professional and expert service to the firm.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. The Compliance Services team operates on a rota basis covering Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm.
Anti-Money Laundering (“AML”) and Client Due Diligence (“CDD”)
- Support fee earners and Executive Assistants in ensuring that all new clients and new matters opened comply with the firm’s AML and CDD policies and procedures.
- Documenting CDD evidence.
- Conducting ongoing enhanced due diligence,
- Politically Exposed Person (“PEP”) and sanctions monitoring.
- Conducting screening on new clients.
- Conducting reviews of CDD information for clients.
- Providing the Compliance Officers with support and guidance in relation to their AML and CDD related duties.
- Monitoring the AML Officer’s shared mailbox and working with the other AML Officers to ensure that queries are distributed and dealt with in a timely manner.
- Monitoring CDD clearance times.
- Working collaboratively with the Head of Business Acceptance, Compliance Services Manager and Compliance Lawyers to develop effective systems and procedures to implement the firm’s AML and CDD policies and procedures.
Client and matter inception and conflict checks
- Assisting, when required, with the daily tasks and responsibilities carried out by the Compliance Officers and Compliance Assistant in relation to all and any aspects of the new client and new matter inception processes.
- Compile statistics and assist with compliance monitoring reviews.
- Design and deliver presentations and training across the firm and within the Department.
- Act as an ambassador for Compliance, and the services it provides, internally and to build relationships across the firm.
Candidates for this position should be educated to a degree level, will have worked within a professional services environment for at least 2 years and should be able to demonstrate the following keys skills and attributes:
- At least 2 years experience in CDD/AML, to include identifying a range of entity types.
- Confident and articulate communicator, dealing effectively with people at all levels.
- Present own ideas and complex procedures clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles.
- Excellent online research skills.
- Proven experience using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Absorb, analyse and consolidate large amounts of information.
- Attention to detail in own and others’ work.
- Good team player, contributing to the team, offering support to colleagues and sharing information and best practice.
- Interest in Compliance technology solutions.
- Experience using Intapp Open would be beneficial.
- Experience of delivering, or willingness to deliver, presentations and training.
- Active interest in compliance and current affairs.
- Confident and proactive, prepared to take a hands-on approach to managing workload using own initiative.