Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
We are looking for a Legal Technologist to join our growing Innovation and Technology Team. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the heart of Innovation at Trowers, assisting our Head of Innovation and Technology in developing client solutions and driving the adoption of legal technology across all departments, to improve our delivery of services to clients.
As a Legal Technologist within the team, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of client solutions and projects to clients across our business.
We are considering candidates across all our UK office locations.
Key responsibilities and challenges
- Leading and coordinating innovation projects including assistance in the end to end planning, development, delivery and continuous improvement of value adding creative client solutions.
- Ability to identify the most effective combinations of people, process and technology. Where required, the role will include the coordination and management of third party or other internal technology development experts.
- Record keeping of product development
- Configuration of Client Portals, including working on effective user experience and tailoring sites to clients’ needs for example with data visualisation.
- Researching and providing insights on legal technology tools and trends, together with advising on opportunities to leverage developments for the benefit of the firm and our clients
- Driving a culture of innovation and continuous improvement across the firm through the championing of existing solutions, to help drive behavioural change and maximise the transformative impact of new products and services.
- Building strong relationships with our lawyers across various specialist areas and supporting them with coaching on legal technology and new ways of working.
- Collaboration with our lawyers and other key stakeholders to identify opportunities to improve existing processes and to ensure that solutions are developed in line with client expectations, practice group objectives, the firm’s strategic goals; taking into account developments in the legal tech market.
- Delivering presentations, demonstrations and training on existing products and market intelligence on technology tools to our lawyers and clients.
- Drafting and designing marketing materials
- Promoting the firm by participating in external legal events such as hackathons and attendance at conferences and events.
The list of duties and responsibilities above is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for, the performance of this job. As such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Characteristics, skills & experience required
- Self-motivated with strong organisational, effective time management and project management skills
- A positive, enthusiastic, conscientious and proactive approach
- Comfortable working under pressure and ability to work to tight timescales with a sense of urgency, consistently demonstrating a flexible, proactive "can-do" attitude
- Ability to effectively prioritise conflicting demands and deliver simultaneous projects.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral, including experience of stakeholder engagement at all levels.
- Demonstrate confidence and knowledgeability when dealing with different situations and internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to diplomatically drive change and build consensus, working effectively with staff across the business, to drive-through projects to their conclusion.
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach.
- Pragmatic, creative and commercial with a clear aptitude for problem solving and a genuine interest in solution design and development to achieve desired outcomes; able to think laterally in identifying and developing opportunities
- Able to work as a team and in an autonomous/ independent way.
- You must be analytical and take ownership of projects and drive outcomes with minimal supervision, but be confident to ask for help when needed.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with vendors, fee earners, and clients.
- Ability to clearly articulate the benefits of legal technology and to adapt your approach based on your audience i.e. technical, non technical.
- An awareness of the changing legal services and legal technology market and its trends and respective challenges affecting law firms.
- Technical skills and comprehension to accurately and efficiently assess the capabilities and potential of legal technology products and vendors and their compatibility with the Firm’s wider technology.
- Prior experience working in an innovation function within a commercial law firm on projects involving use of collaboration platforms and legal technology solutions, including document, workflow and process automation, data visualisation (Contract Express, HighQ,), machine learning document review and extraction tools (Kira), electronic signatures platforms (DocuSign) and no code technology (Bryter).
- Previous experience of deployment of solutions using our Legal Technology platforms, (such as HighQ and Kira) and experience of end-to-end project delivery essential.
- Working knowledge and awareness of the current legal technology landscape, and of best practices and developments in AI-enabled and automated legal technologies, and the ability to apply this knowledge to promote continuous improvement.
- Expertise in standard business software applications such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Educated to degree level in a Law or Computer Science discipline or equivalent (Legal training preferred).
- Experienced, with knowledge and skills in artificial intelligence, machine learning, decision tree logic, automation and workflow tools.
- Experience in data manipulation and visualisation (Excel, Power BI).
We also require awareness of and full participation in the Firm’s commitment to equality and diversity and sustainability.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.