We are currently recruiting for a Senior Commercial Pricing Manager to join our London Finance team to act as a business partner and trusted adviser providing pricing and commercial advice to London Partners with the principle objective of optimising revenue and matter profitability. Reporting to our Head of Working Capital and working closely with our UK CFO, our Head of Global Pricing and the wider pricing team, the successful candidate should have a professional finance qualification, have significant experience in a management and/or operational role at a professional services firm and must be comfortable working directly with senior leaders and have confidence to encourage and challenge partners.
Role and responsibilities
Pricing and Business Partnering
- Assist Partners with rate negotiations which may include: (i) providing timely, accurate and relevant financial information for decision-making, (ii) profitability forecasting based on multiple levers/potential outcomes, (iii) negotiation strategy and (iv) influencing or offering advice as appropriate to optimise the outcome of negotiations.
- Provide commercial advice to partners contemplating new client matters and ensure all relationships are accurately documented and maintained.
- Prepare financial analysis to support the pitching process taking a macro-economic view of pricing proposals by considering peer group data trends, external market data, and economic indicators.
Matter Profitability and Project Management
- Analyse current billing and profitability information and other items of a complex nature for reporting and problem-solving.
- Prepare and model draft budgets for matter partner’s review prior to accepting new engagements.
- Project manage a selection of high profile matters to provide timely reporting, control margins through assessment of time and cost write-offs, and support proactive measures to increase margins where possible.
- Design, preparation and delivery of financial presentations and ad hoc client reviews.
- Feedback analysis of matter performance, conclusions and suggestions for improvement to finance & practice group management.
Working Capital Support
- Develop skills and understanding of Working Capital team concerning pricing and profitability.
- Support complex client reporting requirements of a working capital nature, including client accruals process.
- Monitoring and reporting of Volume Discounts accruals.
- Develop close relationships with central pricing and business development teams.
- Work closely with Working Capital team to coordinated a united finance offering to Partners.
- Provide financial support for internal and external client meetings. Determine nature of meeting and provide succinct financial advice to help influence outcomes.
- Become trusted advisor to London Partners.
- Establish good working relationships with external clients to facilitate the resolution of issues that may arise.
- Partake in London Finance leadership meetings and assist the London Finance team with ad hoc projects.
- Significant experience in a management and/or operational role at a professional services firm.
- Experience working for a partnership and supporting partners in an advisory capacity.
- Professional finance qualification.
- A credible individual with gravitas, resilience and high level of intellectual ability who is able to develop effective working relationships with the ability to influence at all levels.
- Must be a proactive self-starter with drive, enthusiasm and tenacity, possessing excellent communication shills both written and verbal.
- Must be comfortable working directly with senior leaders and have confidence to encourage and challenge partners.
- Have an understanding and appreciation for working cross-culturally.
- Excellent analytical and numeracy skills are a prerequisite for the role, plus the individual will need to adopt a ‘broad brush’, big picture approach and appreciate the commercial realities of a dynamic, fast moving practice.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint a must.
- Excellent attention to detail, prioritisation and organisational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and cope with the high and varied workloads.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.