Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a top 40 UK law firm with turnover of in excess of £100m. We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise in Exeter. As a result we are looking to recruit a solicitor with 2-4 years PQE into our busy Commercial Litigation team. Forming part of our renowned national Dispute Resolution & Litigation Practice, you will be based in Exeter but with a national and international element on a case by case basis.
We encourage our lawyers to think beyond the law and into the commercial by acquiring excellent technical expertise, client management and profile raising skills. If you can bring your ideas, experiences and expertise, we can give you an opportunity to succeed.
We know that the best solutions are found when you're collaborating which is why you will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners not just in your immediate team but throughout the whole department
Where you'll work
The purpose of this role is to work as part of the Exeter team on a broad spectrum of dispute resolution but with a particular focus on private client litigation.
You will support the Exeter based Commercial Litigation team consisting of partner, Kathryn Insall, and six other fee earners, work closely with the Exeter non-contentious Private Client team and also the Private Client litigation team based in Birmingham and headed up by Helen Briant.
You will further be part of the national Dispute Resolution & Litigation Practice and will likely work with other partners across the various national and international offices.
You will focus on providing a first class service to clients, proactive marketing/profile raising and exceptional client management. The successful candidates will have a clear track forward and will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners and will be joining a highly collaborative and collegiate culture.
What you'll be doing
- Caseload will consist of a variety of commercial litigation matters, but will centre on contentious succession and trust disputes and asset protection. Work will include all aspects of dispute litigation including cases in the High Court, mediation and dispute resolution.
- Handling own caseload (subject to partner supervision where appropriate);
- Build and maintain effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries;
- Participate actively in marketing initiatives, including training days / seminars, giving and assisting with presentations, writing articles and creating marketing materials;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participation in firm-wide and departmental meetings, training sessions and social events, including travelling to internal meetings or attending via video-con, and contributing to the integration of the Exeter Commercial litigation team with the firm's wider Commercial litigation team in the UK regional offices;
- Meet targets as agreed. Manage files, time and billing efficiently and in a cost-effective manner;
- Training and development of junior staff (where appropriate);
- Assisting with the development of junior fee-earners and supervising as appropriate.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect. In particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Flexibility and a can do attitude;
- Commercial awareness;
- Commitment to and a track record of marketing and business development;
- Excellent file and cost management;
- Managing client relationships.
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Team player;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills.
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified solicitor with 2-4 years' post qualification experience;
- Experience in a broad range of commercial litigation;
- Experience of managing disputes from start to finish.
Reporting to: Kathryn Insall, Partner, Exeter & Helen Briant, Birmingham
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.