Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's Global Business Development and Marketing (BD&M) team is located in major cities across EMEA, Asia Pacific and the US. We execute the firm's clients and markets strategy by driving profitable growth with a specific focus on our chosen products, sectors and priority clients. We focus on improving our client experience, driving marketing campaigns, leveraging data analytics and client insights, significantly enhancing operational excellence and building out new BD&M capabilities.
We are a diverse team spanning the range of business to business, professional services and hands-on industry expertise. Our different perspectives and experiences enhance the outcomes we achieve and make us a fun and adaptable team.
The Senior/Business Development Manager (BDM) will be a part of our global Business Development team focusing on the Real Estate Industry and Practice.
The BDM is responsible for:
- Providing commercial advice on the development and execution of the Real Estate group strategic plan.
- Serving as a member of the Real Estate leadership team.
- Driving and managing the effective execution of the go-to-market-strategy.
- Managing specified key client accounts, ensuring relationships and growth targets are met or exceeded year-on-year.
- Executing and supporting strategically important pursuits.
1 Year FTC (Maternity Cover)
Director of Business Development, EMEA/US
Strategy & Planning
- Work with the key Real Estate partners to develop the BD strategy to maximise opportunities to grow revenue in line with the firm's 2023 strategic plan.
- Coach relevant partners and associates to deliver the business development objectives.
- Develop and lead strategic initiatives to meet the business plan goals, evaluating progress on implementation.
- Provide market information and analysis of financials to identify trends and opportunities to raise our profile and awareness in key markets.
- Manage and support the entire opportunity pursuit process, including identifying opportunities, managing opportunity tracking processes, preparing client-focused sales collateral and coordinating partners around pipelines.
- Collaborate with other practice and industry BDMs to identify cross-selling opportunities.
- Support all relevant major client opportunities including pitches and proposals, working closely with the Global Bids and Pricing teams.
- Provide Real Estate related input, as required, on transactional or project pitches across the Ashurst network.
- Ensure that post matter debriefs are completed for strategically important pitches.
- Develop and implement integrated profile raising campaigns, thought leadership, digital marketing, events and other market facing activities, working collaboratively with the firm's Real Estate teams and other specialists, in our key markets.
- Develop and manage the Real Estate BD budget, monitoring spend and capturing ROI.
- Maintain knowledge of key and emerging issues impacting the Real Estate.
- Share knowledge across the wider BD&M team and contribute to functional and firm-wide training programmes.
- Ensure the Real Estate requirements for data capture are met (e.g. experience statements; relevant directory and award submissions; etc.).
- Lead and develop the Real Estate BD Executive to ensure that all performance and learning metrics are achieved.
- Contribute to wider BD&M team projects, including supporting new systems and processes, as required.
- Support Client Relationship Partners to develop and execute client account plans for key Real Estate clients to help deepen relationships and drive profitable growth across the Ashurst network.
- Coordinate and manage pipeline development with the Client Relationship Partners within the designated client accounts.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the nominated clients and their businesses, and assist with the sharing of that information within Ashurst.
- Engage with the Client Listening programme by conducting and capturing client feedback through client listening, matter and pitch debriefs.
- Coordinate and liaise with other CRMs to ensure consistency and sharing of strategic information across clients and industries.
Essential skills and experience:
- Previous experience in a professional services BD environment (5-10 years' experience).
- Demonstrated leadership experience for both coaching teams and managing major projects and/or initiatives.
- Commercial awareness and an innovative mind-set for developing and evolving ways of working.
- Enthusiastic and proactive, with the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects and activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively interact with peers and influence internal clients including senior stakeholders.
- Strategic thinker with strong focus on execution.
- Ability to build positive and collaborative working relationships with the BD&M, legal teams and other functions.
- Previous experience in a client facing capacity.