WHO WE ARE
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We typically advise on high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, providing clear legal advice that reflects a deep understanding of the client’s business and attitude towards risk We are now offering the opportunity for a 2-6 PQE solicitor to become part of our dynamic Projects team, which advises on a full range of matters in the Infrastructure & Energy space including project development, joint ventures and M&A with a particular focus on the project level arrangements.
At Slaughter and May, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, technically strong and engaging individual to join us as a Projects/ IEN Associate, in our London-based Projects group.
In addition to its highly regarded IEN practice, the firm has extensive Corporate, Commercial, Dispute Resolution and Financing practices. It also has strong practices in Intellectual Property, Financial Regulation, Tax, Competition and Pensions and Employment.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of matters.
The matters we work on are generally challenging and sophisticated. We do, however, aim to give associates as much responsibility and client contact as they are ready for.
Group structure of our practice
Our Projects practice is led by 2 partners and currently has 10 associates and 4 trainees and shares the PSLs with the wider IEN stream and the real estate group (which the Projects practice sits in). The team’s work spans the project life cycle, including formation of joint ventures and structuring of shareholder arrangements, as well as other M&A aspects (including asset level DD); supply and offtake arrangements, power trading and energy services arrangements; construction and O&M arrangements and early stage DR.
Our team has advised on many of the largest and most innovative transactions that have taken place globally with a particular focus on the structure and execution of offshore wind deals. Our focus is on quality over quantity; we do not have a large team doing small to mid-market deals. Instead, we focus on high-value, complex and challenging transactions which are interesting and varied.
This role might particularly suit associates who have experience and exposure to a broad range of commercial contracts on infrastructure and energy matters (with some experience of construction in the sector also helpful) and would like to experience more complex, higher-value transactions. Candidates should have some experience of wider corporate and financing transactions with a construction, infrastructure and energy angle and be used to and comfortable with managing transactions and clients (both internal and external) independently and supervising more junior colleagues and teams. Candidates should be enthusiastic about retaining a broad practice and prepared to stretch themselves intellectually. Associates will also be expected to take on responsibility from an early stage, from client contact and managing transactions to coordinating internal teams and other groups.
- Advising on the wide range of matters described above
- Developing professional relationships with clients and potential clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including NQs and trainees
- Providing effective support for partners
Candidates for this position must have:
- Ability to deal with free standing construction, O&M, commercial contracts whether industry templates (FIDIC/JCT) or bespoke SM
- Some experience of wider corporate or financing transactions with a construction/infrastructure and energy angle
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- Solid base of experience and exposure to a broad range of construction, commercial contracts, infrastructure and energy matters
- First rate drafting skills
- Strong academic background and a high level of intellectual rigour
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and project management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations/meetings
- Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
- Attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity, displaying the highest standard of professional ethics