WHO WE ARE
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We typically advise on high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, providing clear legal advice that reflects a deep understanding of the client’s business and attitude towards risk We are now offering the opportunity for a 0-2 PQE solicitor to become part of our dynamic Construction / Projects, which advises sponsors, lenders, contractors and other members of the supply chain on all procurement, construction and O&M/FM aspects of real estate developments, infrastructure assets, energy projects and public-private partnerships. We are known for advising on high profile, complex and technically challenging projects.
At Slaughter and May, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of Government guidance in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have successfully and seamlessly adapted to home-working, which is a testament to the resilience and agility of our people. We all look forward to returning to our headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London, when it is safe and appropriate for us to do so, where we enjoy a range of excellent facilities.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, technically strong and engaging individual to join us as a Construction/Projects Associate, in our London-based group.
In addition to its highly regarded Construction practice, the firm has extensive Corporate, Commercial, Dispute Resolution and Financing practices. It also has strong practices in Intellectual Property, Financial Regulation, Tax, Real Estate, Competition and Pensions and Employment.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of matters.
The matters we work on are generally challenging and sophisticated. We do, however, aim to give associates as much responsibility and client contact as they are ready for.
Group structure of our Real Estate practice
Our Construction practice is led by 2 partners and currently has 10 associates and 4 trainees and sits within the Real Estate Group. The team provides predominantly non-contentious advice on projects in the United Kingdom and around the world with the usual addition of early stage disputes advice in conjunction with the wider Dispute Resolution team. Our team is well recognised for providing industry leading advice on the most sophisticated projects.
Our focus is on quality over quantity; we do not have a large team doing small to mid-market deals. Instead, we focus on high-value, complex and challenging transactions which are interesting and varied.
This role might particularly suit associates who have experience and exposure to a broad range of construction and ancillary commercial contracts and would like to experience more complex, higher-value transactions. Candidates would ideally have some experience of wider real estate, corporate and financing transactions from a construction angle. Candidates should be enthusiastic about retaining a broad practice and prepared to stretch themselves intellectually. Associates will also be expected to take on responsibility from an early stage.
- Advising on the legal and commercial aspects of a wide range of matters, as above
- Developing professional relationships with clients and potential clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including NQs and trainees
- Providing effective support for partners
Candidates for this position must have:
- Ability to deal with free standing construction, O&M, commercial contracts whether industry templates (FIDIC/JCT) or bespoke SM
- Some experience of wider corporate, real estate or financing transactions with a construction angle
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- Solid base of experience and exposure to a broad range of construction and commercial contracts
- First rate drafting skills
- Strong academic background and a high level of intellectual rigour
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and project management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations/meetings
- Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity, displaying the highest standard of professional ethics