AML & Conflicts Assistant
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
This opportunity is for someone to join us as part of the centralised business acceptance team. The team supports the firm's fee earners and support staff globally. This role offers a candidate the opportunity to build up their knowledge and experience within legal compliance.
What you'll be doing
- Assisting with checking documentation and AML information collected for the new client and matter opening process.
- To provide administration support within the team.
- Fielding and where possible dealing with enquiries from fee earners and support staff and building good rapport
- Assisting with carrying out research in respect of clients and matters, including client websites, using screening software and other appropriate databases.
- Checking and verifying information provided by fee earners and support staff and providing guidance to fee earners and support staff internationally on the necessary information and documentation required to complete the new client and matter opening process.
- To conduct and analyse potential conflicts of interest by using conflicts database searches in Intapp Open.
- To be alert to potential commercial conflicts and ensure these are handled appropriately.
- To gain a good understanding of the SRA Code of Conduct rules relating to conflicts of interest and the duties of confidentiality and disclosure.
- To assist with any other duties related to the resolution of conflicts of interest issues as required.
What you'll need
- A positive and enthusiastic individual who is looking to embark on a career within legal compliance.
- Degree qualified Individual. Non-graduates with previous compliance experience will also be considered.
- Experience working within an International law firm
- Strong communication skills and client focused.
- Experience and ability to work well with others as part of a team and to also work independently.
- Strong organisation skills and the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interact with fee earners and support staff and building positive relationships and establishing yourself as a key member of both the team and the Firm.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent IT skills across the MS suite of programmes along with a keen interest and willingness to learn new computer packages, software and systems.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.