Paralegal - Travel, Tourism and Insurance
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
The purpose of this role is to work as part of a team on a broad spectrum of travel litigation. We are looking to recruit a Paralegal to join our 14 lawyer Travel, Tourism and Insurance team in Exeter. The role will focus on providing a first class service to clients, contributing to proactive marketing/profile raising and exceptional client management. The successful candidate will have a clear track forward and will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners and will be joining a highly collaborative and collegiate culture.
What you'll be doing:
- Advising in relation to and representing clients in travel litigation matters, whether through litigation, arbitration or alternative dispute resolution, with minimal supervision. The work types shall include, but not limited to advice on both Claimant and Defendant matters, England and Wales jurisdictional claims, foreign jurisdictional claims, and advice on contractual matters concerning insurance policies. Much of the work will have an international focus.
- Expanding our provision of travel and insurance litigation services nationally.
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries.
- Proactive participation in individual, team and office based business development initiatives.
- Participation in firm-wide and departmental meetings, training sessions and social events, including travelling to internal meetings or attending via video-con, and generally ensuring the Exeter team is fully integrated with the firm's wider litigation department in London and elsewhere.
- Contributing effectively to department and firm wide performance goals.
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Strong client focus.
- Drive and enthusiasm.
- Commercial awareness.
- Team player.
- Common sense and ability to use initiative
- Good academic record.
- LLB/LPC graduate desirable but not essential
- Client management experience
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.