Partner Matters Lawyer or Senior Lawyer
We are currently recruiting for a Partner Matters Lawyer or Senior Lawyer to join the HR Team in either London or Belfast to provide legal advice and guidance to the partners globally on all matters relating to HR-related policy and procedures as they apply to partners individually.
Role and responsibilities
The role will include providing an advisory and secretariat service to partners globally including:
- Acting as a point of advice to global partners and HR teams on partner HR-related matters;
- Managing the formalities (including documentation) of promotion to partnership and equity progression within all A&O practice entities in liaison with local HR teams;
- Providing a service to the management team, in respect of amendments to Partners' points entitlement and the execution of the firm’s equity decisions, including providing advice on relevant precedents and relativities where appropriate;
- Advice on specific partner issues and providing support to GC where necessary;
- Advising on Partner relocations and secondments including terms and contractual issues and co-ordinating with relevant internal colleagues (in Partnership Tax and Global Mobility teams) to ensure that transitioning Partners are dealt with efficiently, sensitively and consistently;
- Managing the documentary process around retirements from the Partnership, including negotiation of specific clauses and agreements where necessary;
- Updating of specific partner policies when applicable;
- Advising on application of partnership agreement and related documentation;
- Dealing with ad hoc queries from Partners, HR heads etc, including ability to determine appropriate course of action assisted by developed network of contacts;
- Working with the global HR team and senior management on any project work that may arise, including but not limited to, the opening of new offices or change management programmes;
- Maintenance of Partner files, working with the appropriate HR Heads and continually developing our processes, documentation and reporting in relation to Partner matters;
- The ideal candidate will have significant legal experience, either as an Employment lawyer or with experience of working in-house or advising partnerships. International experience would also be a benefit;
- Strong commercial acumen, together with the ability and credibility to form effective ‘client’ relationships across all levels including the highest levels of management;
- Proven discretion and ability to deal with sensitive issues and to influence at all levels;
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Proven ability to multi-task, deliver advice in a measured, pragmatic and risk-conscious manner – strong organisational skills required;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- An independent self-starter, pro-active and a quick learner, with a willingness to try their hand at new things, take ownership of matters and drive them forward; and
- Flexibility around days/hours during peak times.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.