Project Manager – 12 month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
About Ashurst Advance
Ashurst Advance is our "NewLaw" Division, transforming client service by continually evolving our legal services delivery in order to provide real value and help clients to achieve their business objectives in a highly cost effective way.
Ashurst Advance provides dynamic solutions by innovating across three key elements of legal service delivery: process, resources and technology. We successfully combine the Ashurst Advance capabilities with our legal subject matter experts in one fully integrated team to offer clients legal excellence with efficient delivery.
Business Area - Ashurst Advance
Role: Project Manager - 12 month FTC
Location: Based at Ashurst's Glasgow office
Reporting to: Legal Transformation Programme Manager
Hours of work -
Monday to Friday, 09.00 to 17.30. You will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
Department/ Role Overview:
Working with the Ashurst Advance senior leadership team to facilitate delivery of a significant transformation programme in relation to how the firm, through each of its practice groups, delivers its legal services to clients.
This programme is a core part of the firm's business plan to 2023 to help drive performance, and will enable the firm to deliver highly competitive and market leading legal services. The individual will play a key role in enabling Ashurst Advance to deliver a complex global transformation of the operating model by which each practice group delivers its legal services to clients, from initiation to realisation of full benefits where there is a significant level of interdependency across workstreams. This person must demonstrate the ability to work across all levels of stakeholders and third parties within a high performance environment and with a relentless focus on deliverables.
Supporting the Legal Transformation Programme Manager and the practice group partners and lawyers to manage and execute allocated project workstreams. Key focus on keeping all UK workstream activities (during design and delivery periods) on track (timing, benefits and resources) and appropriate reporting.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and proactively manage the project design and implementation plan (in line with the standard programme approach) through all phases of design and delivery and within agreed timescales.
- Liaise with workstream leads to ensure that business requirements are clearly documented and that the proposed outcomes, solutions and supporting systems, processes and plans fully support those requirements.
- Develop and manage project trackers ensuring that required project documentation is properly completed and that quality gates are achieved.
- Implement and manage RAID log.
- Plan and manage communications as part of the matter team.
- Track progress against matter plans, budget and agreed KPIs, alerting relevant stakeholders promptly to variances and recommending changes and developing contingency plans where necessary.
- Develop a clear understanding of resource requirements for each stage of design and delivery and tracking availability of resource and escalating where there are potential issues.
- Identifying, managing and recording change control requests.
- Working closely with the change and communications team to ensure that stakeholder analysis, change impact analysis and benefit analysis are part of workstream delivery plans and coordinating with those teams to create appropriate change and comms plans.
- Arrange post-project reviews and lessons learned exercises.
- Work in collaboration with the other Ashurst Advance teams, Expertise and other business support staff to support the implementation of a range of initiatives to improve efficiency and profitability.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrable experience of project management in consultancy or professional services firms
- Used to working in a global environment and across multiple time-zones
- Experience of the whole project lifecycle. This includes scoping, scheduling, costing, resourcing, change, communications, quality and risk
- Excellent people skills along with a track record of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent presentation, written, communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced organisational and influencing skills, flexibility of style, attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high pressured, detail-oriented environment
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment with excellent troubleshooting, decision-making and follow-through skills
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Microsoft Project, Excel and PowerPoint
- AgilePM, APM, PMP, PRINCE2 or equivalent project management certifications
Desired skills and experience
- Experience of working within the legal industry
- Financial literacy/understanding of law firm financials and performance metrics
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visio