Solicitor / Associate - Property Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
What you'll do:
- Manage defended and undefended litigation in areas such as, but not limited to, anti-social behaviour, housing disrepair, rent arrears, non-access, succession, abandonment and unauthorised subletting;
- Provide advice on general residential landlord and tenant legal issues in writing and by telephone;
- Attend and represent clients at County Court hearings virtually and in person;
- Draft court proceedings, witness statements and affidavits;
- Progress and manage cases that proceed to trial by complying with Court directions such as disclosure and instructing counsel;
- Negotiate settlements with opposing parties and advising clients on this subject in due course;
- Meet clients, delivering training and seminars and;
- Actively participating in business development initiatives and maintaining good client relationships.
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures; and
- Participate in firm-wide, office and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need:
The firm has a competency framework for Solicitor / Associate level, and in particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files;
- Presentation / advocacy skills;
- Self-motivation, drive and enthusiasm;
- Excellent technical skills;
- Strong client focus;
- Team based approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills; and
- Residential landlord and tenant litigation experience is desirable but not essential;
- An interest in marketing;
- Flexibility and commitment.
Experience and qualifications required:
- Excellent academic record; and
- Qualified Solicitor with 1-3 years' post qualification experience.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.