Learning & Development Assistant / Administrator
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The HR department provides centralised support to the firm’s 900 staff. The purpose of this role is to work in a team of four dedicated Learning & Development professionals (Head and two L&D officers) to deliver a first-class learning and development programme to the lawyers, and business support staff of the firm. Support will include legal training, business skills, compliance and diversity and inclusion initiatives.
This role focuses on implementing and administering learning and development programmes. The role provides scope for learning and involvement in a wide range of exciting projects and initiatives in an award – winning HR team. We are considering candidates in Birmingham, Exeter and Manchester.
What you'll be doing
- Day-to-day support with all administrative aspects relating to the Learning & Development function
- Assisting Learning & Development team with various project work, for example: budget monitoring and updating the intranet
- Managing external course bookings - booking places, sending calendar invites, paying invoices, sending evaluation forms, keeping accurate records
- Managing SRA Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Competence Scheme – data input, producing reports, handling queries (with training and support)
- Assisting in the administration of training events from initial set up (room bookings, invites, collating responses) to making sure that everything runs smoothly on the day
- Maintaining the compliance training databases and reporting on completion of training
- Recording attendance at training sessions and keeping individual records up-to-date
- Organising firm memberships
- Managing telephone calls (internal and external), ensuring that messages are noted and communicated efficiently
- Responsible for efficient diary management ensuring that all parties are notified of appointments and the appropriate facilities and catering are provided
- Collating hard copy and online feedback summaries with the assistance of the Document Production Centre
- Responsible for ensuring that all electronic filing is kept up to date
- Making travel arrangements where necessary
- Assisting with running of training committee meetings: arranging, circulating papers
- Responsible for assisting and organising sessions for the firmwIde TrowersIncludes seminars and other Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, including liaising with internal and external speakers
- Supporting the TrowersConnects inclusion initiatives
- Simple video editing and supporting creation of video library
- Other ad hoc duties relating to diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Other ad hoc duties as instructed by the Head of Learning & Development and L&D Officers
What you'll need
- A passion for learning and development
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Strong IT skills and ability to use databases and systems
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- A strong team player with a positive and proactive attitude
- Flexibility and commitment
- Good initiative with willingness to learn and ask questions
- Enthusiasm and ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical approach to work
- Travel to other UK offices, particularly London would be occasional part of role
- The flexibility to work outside normal hours may be required from time to time
- Previous legal/professional services experience in a similar role
- A very good understanding of Microsoft Office
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.