Fuse Senior Manager
We are currently recruiting for a qualified and experienced lawyer to join our London office as Fuse Senior Manager. This role will act as a deputy to the Head of Fuse (who works part-time), and be a key representative of Fuse within A&O, leading the management and promotion of Fuse internally and externally and taking on the day-to-day running of Fuse as an innovation space.
The additional support offered by this role will enable the Head of Fuse the ability to have greater focus on:
- promoting Fuse in the tech space to attract nationally and internationally based tech start-up innovators;
- identifying how Fuse can more strategically draw client interest to A&O in London and across the international network;
- capitalising on Fuse interactions with clients whether by strengthening existing relations or facilitating new relationships and revenue streams as a result of focussed cross-selling;
- identifying advanced legaltech products that can be used within A&O to increase our productivity and/or lower internal costs;
- developing an ongoing strategy for Fuse in the context of the A&O business and “Advanced Delivery” offering.
The role offers the potential for an ambitious and hard-working individual to grow and play a direct part in creating and winning client opportunities and engagements.
- Managing the application process for each cohort (100+ applications); supervising the research and outreach to relevant legal techs on a global basis; organising the selection day and follow up;
- Managing the engagement with the cohort; on-boarding; induction; coordination of mentors; tracking and driving activity between clients / A&O and the cohort;
- Managing all events in Fuse i.e. ensuring every meeting, show and tell etc. is professionally organised, including advance coordination with visitors, organising the programme for the event, attendance of relevant A&O and cohort tracking, content etc.;
- Organising and managing monthly demo days for new legaltech companies to demo their products.
- Building and developing long-term client relationships with legaltech counterparts and legal teams;
- Be able to understand, empathise with and offer solutions to common inefficiencies identified by in-house counsel;
- Hosting client “show & tell” and other introductions to Fuse, talking through the legal landscape and needs of our clients;
- Identifying and driving opportunities with clients arising out of interactions in Fuse;
- Preparing and participating in pitches to clients and representing Fuse at client events in London and across the international network;
- Explaining Fuse to external and internal visitors, introducing events, hosting visits.
Fuse within A&O
- Liaising with A&O teams (legal and non-legal) in London and across the A&O network to understand technology needs and potential integration of software and products developed by past and present cohort members;
- Liaising with the Legal Tech team, IT, In-house legal and the Information Security teams to ensure the timely and successful launch of internal testing / pilots of third party technologies;
- Liaising with other “Advanced Delivery & Solutions” teams to ensure a cohesive offering and maximise cross-selling opportunities;
- Working with the Head of Fuse and relevant A&O partners to develop a strategy for Fuse’s continued role in the business and the “Advanced Delivery & Solutions” offering;
- Representing Fuse on internal knowledge sharing exercises / training;
- Working with the nominated department legal tech liaisons to identify possible client engagement and spread the awareness of legal tech solutions and facilitate the adoption of technology within each relevant team;
- Organising and managing Fuse pop-ups across the A&O network;
- Preparing internal reporting on a weekly basis to the Head of Fuse and on a monthly basis to management.
Graduate Recruitment and Pro-Bono
- Liaising with relevant teams within universities / law schools to explore possible collaborations and other engagement and, more generally, increasing the Fuse profile within these institutions;
- Liaising with relevant graduate recruitment teams across the A&O network to organise and host university and school-aged students typically to present an introduction to Fuse and how technology is impacting on law and the provision of legal services within A&O and more generally;
- Liaising with the A&O pro-bono team to identify and explore how Fuse can impact upon current and future pro-bono initiatives and representing Fuse at relevant pro bono and other social impact events.
- Chairman and Head of Fuse
- Fuse Support, who will report to the Fuse Senior Manager
- Fuse PA
- Head of Legal Technology Group
- Fuse Cohort
- Visitors to Fuse
- Support personnel within A&O.
- Requires a legal qualification and experience
- Ability to operate independently e.g. leading client and internal meetings;
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Confident and effective communication skills;
- Ability to remain calm and to deliver under time pressure;
- To affectively assess and prioritise workload in a deadline oriented environment;
- Knowledge of A&O and its business and personnel – or at least of a major law firm or other professional services firm;
- Ability to capture, track and exploit data about Fuse activities and opportunities;
- Strong organisational skills, coordinating inputs from various people around the firm;
- Attention to detail and ability to problem solve;
- Experience of managing events;
- Willingness to work extra hours when required (e.g. breakfast seminars and evening events);
- Curiosity about how technology can transform modern law firms and their clients.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Fuse by Allen & Overy
Fuse, our tech innovation space, exists to fuel a culture of digital innovation in the legal sector. By seeking out and supporting best-in-class technologies, even those at a very early stage, we demonstrate A&O’s commitment to investing in the future.
Through Fuse we enable our clients, and A&O lawyers, to co-develop ideas with some of the brightest and most promising entrepreneurs, putting lawyers at the heart of product development. We provide a collaborative learning lab where teams can experiment with, develop and test the latest [legal, regulatory and deal-related] solutions, acting as a technology radar and enabling first-hand experience of emerging technologies.
Since opening in 2017 Fuse has received 9,000 client visits and hosted 27 tech companies, each resident for 6-9 months, putting it at the heart of the legaltech ecosystem. With each new cohort of entrepreneurs, we take the opportunity to focus on different opportunities; most recently fintech, selected in conjunction with A&O’s leading financial institution clients. Regardless of which challenge we choose to tackle, access to and collaboration with A&O’s clients and legal subject matter experts remains a key driver in tech companies wanting to join Fuse.
Fuse forms part of A&O’s wider Advanced Delivery & Solutions businesses, providing broader technology, resourcing and specialist consulting services to help clients overcome the frustration of outdated and inefficient ways of working and enable them to better manage risk, reduce cost and become more resilient.