BD Manager - Leveraged Finance, High Yield & Private Equity
We are currently recruiting for a commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment to join our London office as the BD Manager for Leveraged Finance, High Yield & Private Equity. This role is responsible for the day-to-day business development support for these areas, including working with the lead partners on their client development plans; leading pitches for the relevant product area and contributing market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities, such as speaking at industry conferences, thought leadership, appropriate events/webinars and hospitality; managing the process of experience collection, league tables, credentials and CVs; supporting associates in executing their BD plans and other ad-hoc business development support. The BD manager in this role must have the ability to articulate the key issues facing the sector and the implications for A&O.
Role and responsibilities
- Practice strategy, planning and execution – working closely with the partners to develop and implement the business development strategy and plans for the Leveraged Finance/High Yield & Private Equity business.
- Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction of BD activities. Play a key influencing role in partner meetings, bring ideas forward and implement and execute projects across the Leveraged Finance/High Yield & Private Equity market.
- Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London-based product areas referenced above. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant product expertise. Capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback. Liaise with the creative services team as appropriate to produce high impact pitches, proposals and presentations.
- Client account management – assist partners and associates in coordinate client targeting efforts across the relevant product groups (including cross-selling initiatives with our banking and asset management clients). Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities.
- Client listening – identify opportunities to conduct client listening as appropriate (i.e. matter debriefs, pitch reviews); carry out client listening sessions with key clients with support of Senior Manager or Client Listening Manager. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
- Market and client research – to support business-planning activities and ensure partners are briefed in advance of client meetings.
- Client events and hospitality (including virtual events) – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management and thought leadership – work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and any available BD Executive/Assistant resource to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Additional projects – opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or cross-practice projects.
- Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience at an equivalent BD Manager level within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with management of individual practice or service lines.
- A genuine interest and enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the Financial Services/Private Capital/Private Equity sector (in terms of the deals, the key players, the competition, and an understanding of the designation market on debt transactions).
- Proven track record of achieving product-line business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
- A proactive approach, balancing creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional, proactive, creative, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.