Ashurst's Derivatives team
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We are currently looking for a lawyer with derivatives experience to join our team in the London office.
Our Securities and Derivatives Group is a well-diversified business, which has been able to withstand a testing business cycle. We continue to invest in our product range and our geographical coverage and are able to offer our lawyers high quality and varied work and the opportunity to develop multi-specialist expertise.
Job overview :
You would typically act on all elements of a derivatives deal from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will initially be to produce initial drafts of agreements, draft and negotiate derivatives documents and ensuring a smooth process to transaction close.
You would also be expected to manage projects that have been assigned to you and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers. You would be expected to work with minimal supervision and be confident to take the lead with client related matters. You would be working as part of a committed and inspired friendly team that enjoys its work and considers itself a leader in its field of practice. All members of the team have frequent client contact and must be willing to travel.
- Drafting of legal documents and agreements;
- Review of legal documents and agreements;
- Contributing to department know-how;
- Advising clients and preparing formal legal opinions;
- Leading negotiations with counter parts;
- Matter completion and post-closing work (including security perfection); and
- Provide structured supervision and on-the-job training to more junior lawyers.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified lawyer with post qualification experience in international finance transactions of the types referred to above with a top international law firm;
- Previous experience of working on derivatives deals;
- Good organisational skills and experience in transaction management;
- Excellent academic track record;
- Experience of cross-border work;
- Excellent client relationship skills and experience of business development.
- Attention to detail.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.