Senior Associate, Employment
- Experience Level
- 5+ yrs PQE
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Our employment team advises across a broad range of sectors including insurance, healthcare, manufacturing natural resources, real estate and with a particular emphasis in financial services. Our employment team is fully integrated with our incentives and pensions practice and has daily inter-action with the rest of the firm's departments such as corporate, international finance, real estate, disputes tax and regulatory. We also have employment lawyers throughout Europe, Asia and Australia.
The team in London is small and dynamic. Taking responsibility for matters is encouraged within a supportive environment. The Employment team gets instructed on exciting and high profile deals and advisory matters.
We would like to recruit an Associate / entry level Senior Associate who has had experience working in the area of employment and in particular is comfortable with working on corporate transactions and providing advice directly to clients. The department does not currently handle a high volume of contentious work.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified senior lawyer with post-qualification experience at a leading law firm
- Experience of employment law
- Experience of large scale transactions
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal employment related documents
- Some contentious experience would be beneficial
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counter-parts
- A commercial approach
- A major financial services group: Advising on the employment law implications of compliance with the Senior Managers Regime.
- A financial institution: Advice in relation to carrying out investigations within an FCA regulated environment, disciplinary process and grievance procedures.
- A financial institution: Advice in relation to carrying out an investigation and disciplinary process in relation to a senior employee who had been suspended following gross misconduct allegations.
- Japanese Trading Multinational: All day-to-day employment work including disciplines, grievances, discrimination and poor performance.
- Japanese Technology Multinational: All day-to-day employment work including collective issues, downsizing, restructuring and consultation processes.
- AVEVA: Advising on its combination with Schneider electric to create a combined global workforce of over 4,000 staff, including consultant requirements and board issues.
- Foresight Group: Advising the underwriters on the £455 million IPO of the Foresight Group.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.