Solicitor / Associate - Investment & Development
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector. This is across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices. We are ranked as the most real estate focused firm in the UK by proportion of revenue in The Lawyer's Global Real Estate 50 Report. Within that, we are also the top firm for affordable housing and public sector work nationally. We are ranked in the top tier of both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners nationally and are steadily heading to the top tier for our West Midlands practice.
What you'll be doing:
We cover a large array of work which is ideal for a property lawyer in the earlier part of their career. We provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions which is why we are looking for new talent to join our expanding team. Our multidisciplinary real estate team advises on investment and development across commercial, retail, residential and mixed use real estate, with a strong inward investment practice. For example, we cover large scale investment and regeneration sites, such as the £3bn UK Central Hub and the HS2 project. There is also an increasing practice for industrial developments and lettings. Our national strategic land promotion practice has a significant amount of work carried out by the Birmingham team. We are also expanding our retail lettings and asset management work. With so many of work expanding in our team there will be plenty of room to support different types of work before focusing into an area of choice.
With such a broad spectrum of work the team is a perfect home for an animated, interested and ambitious lawyer. With a friendly and collaborative environment the team has also developed a really supportive culture. This is key to the continued success and was a vital element during the difficult times of the pandemic.
Part of a national practice the Birmingham real estate team is led by partners Chris Plumley and Fiona Thomson. It comprises 4 Partners, 5 Senior Associates, 2 Associates, 3 Solicitors, 1 trainee and a Paralegal. With significant pipelines of work we want to continue our growth and so an exciting opportunity has arisen for two additional lawyers to join at 2-5 years' PQE. Work will focus on all aspects of property work for developers, strategic land promoters and public bodies, and will include: all types of development work, acquisitions, disposals, leases, and joint venture projects. You will be working as part of our national team so there will be opportunities to support colleagues in our other UK offices.
- Commercial landlord and tenant/asset management
- Involvement in all property aspects of development and regeneration schemes;
- Undertaking a mix of property work for housing associations and similar clients including acquisitions of development sites for residential and mixed use schemes. asset management, and joint venture projects;
- Portfolio sales and acquisitions;
- Advising on management agreements, grant agreements and other forms of commercial contracts;
- Providing assistance to partners and assistants on management and supervision of the wider team;
- Project management and working with other specialist teams on more complex matters;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
- Active participation in and, where appropriate leading, marketing initiatives;
- Running own files;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need:
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade and beyond. In particular, for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery; and
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Aptitude for business development;
- Client management experience;
- Commercial awareness;
- Credibility; and
- Flexibility and can do attitude.
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified Solicitor with at least 2-5 years' post qualification experience in commercial property work
- Good team player.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.