Associate / Senior Associate - Planning and Environmental
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
The planning and environmental team undertakes a huge variety of both contentious and non-contentious matters. Some of the team's high profile and significant matters that have been watched closely by the sector include:
- Regeneration of South Thamesmead – Leading on planning, environmental and CPO for 7000 new homes.
- Estates regeneration in Merton – Leading on planning, environmental and CPO for 4500 new homes.
- Leading planning appeal in Chelsea for Estate regeneration project for 400 new homes.
- Leading planning and environmental matters for an innovative self-build scheme in Cherwell for 1900 homes.
- Advising on planning and environmental aspects of Energy to Waste plants in Cambridge and North Yorkshire.
- Advising the London Borough of Enfield on the regeneration of Meridian Water; working with various professionals, including insurers, to develop the Council's strategy for land and groundwater remediation and negotiating the associated apportionment of environmental risk between the parties.
What you'll be doing:
The purpose of this role is to work as part of the team to support the partner in Manchester and assist in the future development of the firm's planning and environmental offering outside London.
Advising on matters including but not limited to:
- Complex planning applications
- Section 106 agreements
- Section 278 agreements
- General planning advice in respect of major development schemes in the waste sector, the affordable housing sector, as well as the private developer sector
- Acting for planning authorities in relation to CPO work
- Enforcement issues, High Court litigation and public inquiry work
- Judicial review
- Planning and environmental due diligence on commercial and corporate transactions
- Advising developers, funders and purchasers on contaminated land and remediation liability
- Advice on invasive species and protected species
- Advice in connection with the environmental impact assessment process.
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships
- Active participation in marketing initiatives
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions
- Training and development of junior legal staff and secretary (where appropriate)
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate/Senior Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Drive and enthusiasm.
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery.
- Commercial awareness.
- Good team player.
- Flexibility and can do attitude.
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application.
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate.
- Aptitude for business development.
- Substantial client management experience.
- Proven track record in origination/business development.
- Solid academic record.
- Qualified solicitor with at least 3-8 years' PQE in Planning work.
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.