Commercial Finance Junior Analyst
See the possibilities. Realise your potential.
DLA Piper, a truly international law firm, places career and recognition at the heart of its working culture. Enabling individuals to become their best professionally and further develop their career journey. When we think of our business we think of it with you in it and we want to make sure we recognise your ambitions.
We are a transforming business which listens to its people as well as its clients. We are looking to expand our commercial finance team, which is the integral part of financial business partnering, looking to find a commercially minded finance individual, who will join our pricing and profitability team at the start of their career and carve out their professional journey with us.
Be passionate about financial data, be commercially savvy and happy to work with and support a team of highly skilled professionals, be ambitious to learn and grow.
Be recognised for being you. Apply!
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a role with a great deal of opportunity and we would expect the successful candidate to grow within the role and develop, working closely together with the rest of the team. The role will involve the following:
- Manage team inbox and work closely with the rest of the team to ensure that tasks are triaged appropriately, prioritised and expectations are managed
- Recording pricing proposals offered by the team and following up on outcomes
- Coordination of monitoring profitability on a routine basis of new client, new instructions and panel appointments
- Proactively contacting Partners to offer support and advice on pricing being managed on a more local / group level
- Supporting the rest of the team in devising models and providing standardisation of responses to billing enquiries and secondment calculations
- •Follow up with Partners and Pitch team with regard to results of pitches and liaising with charge out rates team / billing co-ordinator with regard to setting rates on the system
- Taking responsibility for following up successful arrangements with partners at routine intervals, assessing profitability and checking for any scope change
- Providing Partners with advice around fee negotiation by way of profitability calculations and modelling
- Obtaining rates from non-DLA firms for submission on proposals
- Performing routine calculations to assist rest of the team - Average cost rate and margin rate analysis
- Working collaboratively with Pitch and Marketing, Business and Service Delivery functions and Global Client Financial Management and others to deliver an all-round service for our Partners.
- Be able to analyse and model financial data
- Be IT literate with excellent Excel skills demonstrating use of pivot tables, v-lookups, sum-ifs etc.
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the confidence and interpersonal skills to engage effectively with Partners
- Demonstrate a professional approach, with an emphasis on customer service and a determination to get the job done
- Be at ease working in a high pressure environment to client enforced deadlines
- Demonstrate an eagerness to learn
- Be pro-active and a willingness to challenge the status-quo
- Be flexible and able to adapt to changing requirements and circumstances
- Be able to display a consistently positive attitude and adopt a 'can do' approach
- Be able to demonstrate the necessary interpersonal skills to deal frequently with other teams within finance and other support areas: HR / BD / Marketing, explaining concepts to non-Finance staff
- Work well within the team to support the delivery of any time critical projects
- Proven experience of delivering on simultaneous tasks
- Ability to judge and manage priorities effectively and work to tight timescales
- The ideal candidate will either have previous experience in a Finance function with a willingness to develop, or be about to embark on a career in Finance with the potential to study towards an accounting qualification.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.