Associate - Commercial Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a top 40 UK law firm with turnover of in excess of £100m. We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise in Birmingham. As a result we are looking to recruit two Associates' into our busy Commercial Litigation team. Forming part of our renowned Dispute Resolution & Litigation Practice, you will be based in Birmingham but with a national and international element on a case by case basis.
We encourage our lawyers to think beyond the law and into the commercial by acquiring excellent technical expertise, client management and profile raising skills. If you can bring your ideas, experiences and expertise, we can give you an opportunity to succeed.
We know that the best solutions are found when you're collaborating which is why you will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners not just in your immediate team but throughout the whole department
Where you'll work
The purpose of this role is to work as part of the Birmingham team on a broad spectrum of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration and ADR. You will support at Associate level a team consisting of a partner and six other fee earners in the Birmingham office and as part of the National Dispute Resolution & Litigation Practice. You will focus on providing a first class service to clients, proactive marketing/profile raising and exceptional client management. The successful candidates will have a clear track forward and will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners and will be joining a highly collaborative and collegiate culture.
What you'll be doing
- Caseload will consist of a variety of commercial litigation matters, which may include, fraud claims, breach of commercial contracts, contentious trust and probate matters, and professional negligence in the High Court, domestic and international arbitration and mediation / other forms of ADR. A proportion of the department’s work has an international element, and overseas travel may be required;
- Handling own caseload (subject to partner supervision where appropriate);
- Build and maintain effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries;
- Participate actively in marketing initiatives, including training days / seminars, giving and assisting with presentations, writing articles and creating marketing materials;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participation in firm-wide and departmental meetings, training sessions and social events, including travelling to internal meetings or attending via video-con, and contributing to the integration of the Birmingham Commercial litigation team with the firm's wider Commercial litigation team in the UK regional offices;
- Meet targets as agreed. Manage files, time and billing efficiently and in a cost-effective manner;
- Training and development of junior staff (where appropriate);
- Assisting with the development of junior fee-earners and supervising as appropriate.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Flexibility and a can do attitude;
- Commercial awareness;
- Commitment to and a track record of marketing and business development;
- Excellent file and cost management;
- Managing client relationships.
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Team player; and
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills.
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified solicitor with 3-5 years' post qualification experience;
- Experience in a broad range of commercial litigation;
- Experience of managing disputes from start to finish.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.